This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend in Hospital

Just asking that ye send up your thoughts/prayers/whatever for a friend of mine (who happens to be the son of another friend) who's been in and out of the hospital all week. Let's call him "J."

About a week ago, J began complaining about stomach pain, was having trouble keeping food down, etc. Basically collapsed last Wednesday, so his folks took him to the ER. They found that his blood sugar was 880 (yes, eight hundred and eighty), and immediately got him insulin, etc while moving him to Critical Care. This was how J found out that he has Type 1 diabetes (the congenital type, insulin-dependent). By Friday evening, having had readings that went down to 550 to 300 to the high 100's over time, they sent him home with his insulin, prescriptions, and training on their use, and plenty of 'homework' to read up on. Still amazed and thankful that he didn't lapse into a diabetic coma -- the doc described his bloodstream (informally) as "basically being more sugar syrup then blood."

Sunday, J was in church, where he remarked that he was feeling better, and that his blood sugar was "only" 200 at the time, which he considered "normal for him." Shame I missed him, as that one was deserving of a Gibbs slap (acceptable level (here in the US) is 90~110).

Fast forward a couple of days. J gets into a car wreck. He's apparently fine, car is totaled. His folks took him in to the hospital anyway just to make sure he was OK. He complained of abdominal pain again, so they run some tests and discover that he has kidney stones to deal with now. One hell of a way to celebrate your nineteenth birthday.

Soooo, yeah. He could use some positive energy sent his way. Send some to his parents, too.
    Last edited by EricKei; 10-20-2016, 01:10 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

*HUGS* for J and his parents!
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

He's having some tough times. Hope things get better for him quickly.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Praying for him right now. If perseverance produces character he is going to be amazing.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Oh dear. I hope he gets the hang of managing his diabetes quickly, or the consequences can be absolutely dire. My best wishes for him!

Comment

Poor guy, one thing after another. He's going to need to make a lot of lifestyle changes. No more junk food, a total diet change. I'd suggest he do a lot of reading up and maybe purchase some diabetic-friendly cookbooks.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Thank you very much for the kind words and thoughts!

He's now back out of the hospital ...again...*crosses fingers* and back home. Kidney stones apparently dealt with. And yes, he's gonna need help with the diabetes thing. He's a nice guy, but I don't know how consistent he'll be to when it comes to adapting to the shots; the diet, he'll work out quickly enough He made a major diet improvement a few months ago and stuck with it, so that part, at least, is just second dietary shift. Nobody wants him to end up on an insulin pump, which is how he'll end up if he doesn't adapt quickly.

Edit: I don't check in on him for 24 hours...and now he's twisted his freakin' ankle. Was he a Mongol Hordesman in another life or something, and now has Karma catching up to him, or what? Poor guy can't catch a break....er, figuratively speaking o_O
              Last edited by EricKei; 10-23-2016, 06:25 PM.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Poor kid.

Hopefully he'll be alright. Will be praying. <3
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                X