This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your Halloween Traditions?

At my house, we have lasagna (what my wife likes to call "Blood & Guts Casserole", just on Halloween), the Mrs. and I have some red wine in Halloween-themed goblets, and we read some Edgar Allan Poe.

She also takes the kiddo what I like to call "Halloweening", while I stay home and hand out candy.
    Last edited by mjr; 10-31-2016, 09:18 PM.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Well, for the past two years we've had a party at my condo. The one time of the year I host everyone. It looks like it's going to become a tradition. This year I had a Day of the Dead theme, it was fun!

Comment

I get my ghoulies out.However,others seem not to appreciate this tradition for some reason....
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

My tradition:

Decide to give out the good mini candy bars this year. Stock up well ahead of time. Snack on the Halloween supplies. Run out of Halloween supplies. Go to the store to get more. Hand out the cheap crap again this year.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Getting hot chocolate and wandering the bookstore until I'm fairly certain the monsters should have gone home.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

My middle sister and I go out for coffee and whatever treats we feel like eating when we get to the coffee place, then wander around our favorite street window shopping and people-watching. We might stop here and there and buy a couple things. Today we stopped in a Penzey's to pick up some spices, then went to the co-op and ended up buying parsnips, apples, cider, and a bottle of mead

Dinner is usually something connected to our Polish and German heritage. We'll listen to our favorite songs (spooky stuff, pagan stuff, etc.) and around midnight we'll do an ancestor blessing with an offering.

We don't get trick-or-treaters in this neighborhood.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

For the first time in the four years we've lived in this complex, we got one batch of trick-or-treaters. We'd never gotten them before.

Just finished watching "Nightmare Before Christmas". DH gets a tad grumpy about seasonal movies out of season, so today's the first day of the year he won't grump about this one (for Christmas-specific, gotta wait until Thanksgiving evening at the earliest).
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Being in retail, I'm usually working, so I don't have any Halloween traditions -- we also have no kids in this neighbourhood. It's almost entirely retirees.

I have some great Halloween decorations, but, once again, didn't get them set out. Oh well. I'll go wild at Christmas.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

My now deceased GF really was not into giving out treats and I usually worked so she just sat at home with the lights off

BUT

When I moved in with her I started decorating the heck out of the front window --- (Halloween and Christmas) chaser lights, lighted up outlines, a vampire Snoopy, a Charlie Brown Greast Pumpkin Patch, pumpkin string lights, and light up skulls,

same thing this year and I plan to keep on doing it again and again.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I knew I wouldn't be getting any trick-or-treaters, since my apartment faces the back of the building, so I didn't bother to buy any candy.

BF and I watched a really cheesy horror movie - the 1970 adaptation of HP Lovecraft's "The Dunwich Horror." It was so awful we couldn't help but laugh. We're probably going to make watching bad horror movies a Halloween tradition.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Mine usually involves setting a new land speed record to get home by 6...followed by attempting to move the fire pot to the front steps and starting a small fire. I usually sit outside to hand out candy--if I stay indoors, the cats go nuts every time the doorbell rings. So I go outside and enjoy the fire and a beer.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                      X