Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My grandfather dodged a bullet (a bit literally)...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My grandfather dodged a bullet (a bit literally)...

There's currently an active shooter situation in a town near me. Apparently there are over 60 police cars there from at least eight different jurisdictions as well as the GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigations), roads are blocked off, and at the last update, two officers have been shot. The local PD just so happens to be the one my grandfather works for.

He also happens to be on vacation in Ireland this week. He left the day before Halloween and gets home tomorrow night. With such heavy police presence at the scene, I am 100% sure that if he wasn't already working this weekend, he would have been called in.

I have no idea which jurisdiction(s) the officers that were shot were from, but if anyone's interested, I'll post updates.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

What do you mean, IF we're interested?

Comment

If I am looking at the correct news article. One office confirmed dead. Second officer wounded, condition unknown. Both deputies are from the same County Sheriff's office.

Suspect is wounded and in custody.

Prayers for the officers and their families.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Okay, I get it.

Most of the information seems to have been released. The incident started when one man threatened to shoot another's dog, the second guy called the police, and the first guy shot the first two officers who showed up. They worked for [County] Sheriff's Office, while my grandfather works for [City Inside County] Police Department, so technically not his jurisdiction. However, once the call came in that the officers were shot, CSO would have called CICPD for backup, and with my grandfather living just down the road from where this happened, he likely would have been the first to arrive.

One of the officers has died, the other's condition hasn't been released (that I know of), and the suspect is in the hospital.

Edit: ninja'd by csquared

Cookies for you!
        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
          What do you mean, IF we're interested?
          I'll second this.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
            Okay, I get it.

Most of the information seems to have been released. The incident started when one man threatened to shoot another's dog, the second guy called the police, and the first guy shot the first two officers who showed up. They worked for [County] Sheriff's Office, while my grandfather works for [City Inside County] Police Department, so technically not his jurisdiction. However, once the call came in that the officers were shot, CSO would have called CICPD for backup, and with my grandfather living just down the road from where this happened, he likely would have been the first to arrive.

One of the officers has died, the other's condition hasn't been released (that I know of), and the suspect is in the hospital.
            I'm so sorry for the family of the deceased officer. I hope the other one is okay.
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

The second officer has been confirmed to be on life support, and there are already plans in the making for a candlelight vigil for the first officer. If my schedule permits I'd like to go. A lot of the jurisdictions in this area tend to work together, especially the city and county because the city's rather small and inter-jurisdictional cases are pretty common, so I'm sure my grandfather knew these men personally and most likely was friends with them.

What bothers me is that with my grandfather out of the country, his cell phone is off to avoid roaming charges. I had to email him to let him know what happened, and with the time difference, he probably won't find out his friends were shot until the morning. That's really not the kind of news you want to get in an email first thing in the morning.

Update:

My grandfather just replied to my email. This is what he had to say.

"Thank you for letting me know about the shooting. I saw where one of the deputies died. [Deputy 1] was a friend of mine for about 15 years. We both worked together at [City] when he first got into police work. I know his wife, kids, and parents.
              Hopefully [Deputy 2] will make it through this."

That just broke my heart.
              Last edited by Aragarthiel; 11-07-2016, 05:10 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

The second deputy just died.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this. Our best wishes go out to all the families of all the officers involved...

Comment

It happened again this morning, but this time, my grandfather was one of the first officers on the scene, and the two that were shot were from City PD instead of County SO. Fortunately, neither have life-threatening injuries. One was taken to the hospital and discharged, the other needed surgery so he's still there but he'll be okay.

This really needs to stop. At this rate, it won't be long before it IS my grandfather.

Comment

This is bad enough at any time of the year, but this close to Christmas it is even more devastating, if that's possible. My condolences to the families of the officers who died, and my wishes for a speedy recovery to the two who were injured.
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Prayers and loads of hugs sent. :'( Hope your grandfather stays safe/healthy.
                        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                        -----
                        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                        X