This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Smith phone spam

I am getting phone spam from Kelly Smith, and they seem to be ignoring the do not call list. Is there any way to get rid of these asshats?
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

I'm getting a lot of spam calls at the moment too, mostly from people with heavy accents claiming to be from my phone / internet provider and telling me that my internet / modem / toilet brush / whatever has been 'hacked' and I need to follow their instructions to put it right. I find that unleashing a torrent of swearing, mostly in French and Turkish (but occasionally some German too) tends to put them off.
    Last edited by Marmalady; 11-09-2016, 07:14 PM.
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I too keep getting calls from people claiming they're my internet IT protection provider, but the number is "spoofed" (only 9 numbers instead of 10).

It's gone from annoying to being a real pain in the posterior...

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
        toilet brush
        I'd be very impressed if someone hacked a toilet brush.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Is this for your cell phone or landline, or a VOIP phone? Some cell phones have a built in number-block feature, and you can find the same thing for most VOIP phones.
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

It's actually illegal for companies to robocall you if you're on DNC, AFAIK, as well. I just take it as gospel that any robocalls I get are scams, unless they're from a place I've done business with, or a collection place -- both are exempt from DNC regs.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

From reading the link, I don't think that these people care about laws.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                I'd be very impressed if someone hacked a toilet brush.
                Well, you know what I mean... sometimes it's my broadband that's supposedly been hacked, sometimes it's my internet, or my modem, or my computer... whatever spiel they've been given that they think has the right words to trigger off panic in those who use a computer but are not necessarily savvy enough about how it works. I'm sure they would tell me that my toilet brush had been hacked if they thought that would work.
                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I swear I started getting even more calls after I put my number on the DNC.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    I swear I started getting even more calls after I put my number on the DNC.
                    More likely observer effect. They command more attention to them now you're on the DNC list.
                    ludo ergo sum

Comment

I've been on it long enough that 90+% of the mystery calls I get are fake/illegal ones. When I see such a number, I know to get my asshole on I've had to stop myself from doing so on occasion, though, when a call turned out to be legit. Fortunately, all of those identify themselves right away, so that makes it easier.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

For the Internet ones tell them you don't have the time to deal with it, say you'll give them your IP address then give them 127.0.0.1. If they're dumb enough they'll destroy their own "company".
                        I AM the evil bastard!
                        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                          For the Internet ones tell them you don't have the time to deal with it, say you'll give them your IP address then give them 127.0.0.1. If they're dumb enough they'll destroy their own "company".
                          I'm confused. What is the IP address for? I'm scared to try it myself...
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                            Quoth lordlundar View Post
                            I'm confused. What is the IP address for? I'm scared to try it myself...
                            *clicking ruby slippers together*
                            There is no place like home.....
                            There is no place like home....
                            There is no place like the computer I am currently using.

Comment

Quoth Sakka View Post
                              *clicking ruby slippers together*
                              There is no place like home.....
                              There is no place like home....
                              There is no place like the computer I am currently using.

So ... it connects them with Oz? Or possibly the Wicked Witch of the West?

I very rarely answer my phone. It's an OLD phone (we're talking pre-caller ID!) and it's hooked to an old-style but recently purchased answering machine. People with whom I want to speak are told to leave a message (had to emphasize this repeatedly with my assistant manager, LOL), although if I'm home, once I hear a familiar voice, I'll grab the phone. Otherwise, leave a message and/or GFY.

I do have a cellphone, but it's pay-as-you-go, so it's usually switched off.

I do realize this isn't viable for everybody, but I feel the damn phones are there for my convenience, not the rest of the world's.
                              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                              X