This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just remember...Tubbs is love...

Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I have feathered kids. Can I post them? I'm gonna anyway.

This is Leo. He's a Senegal parrot. He didn't get the memo that he's supposed to be one of the quieter birds. He thinks he's a macaw and has the attitude to back it up. He's about 9.

This is Charlotte. She's an actual macaw. A scarlet macaw to be specific. She's disabled (missing wing), and has major anxiety issues, hence the plucking (plucking in birds is analogous to cutting in humans). She's a rescue/rehab mission. When we got her in July she couldn't be handled at all. She's come a long way, but we have a lot more work to do. I'm hopeful for a full recovery outside of flight, as that won't be possible with just one wing. We think she's about 10.

This is Goofy. He's a 32 year old yellow nape amazon. He's not very nice to anybody but Mr. Mathnerd. This was a huge moment, as it took me three years to get to the point of him stepping up on my arm without attacking me. He's awesome, even if he's got a bit of an attitude.

At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
        This is Leo. He's a Senegal parrot. He didn't get the memo that he's supposed to be one of the quieter birds. He thinks he's a macaw and has the attitude to back it up. He's about 9.
        My mom has a Senegal named Mango. Before my mom got her, she was owned by a vet who let his kids poke Mango with sticks through the bars of her cage so she tends to bite, but she's actually very sweet if you don't try to handle her too much and let her approach you. She never really gets loud but made for a nice conversationalist on days when I was home alone with her. She didn't know very many words, and those she did know sounded like they were in fast-forward, but we'd end up whistling back and forth to each other all day- one of her favorite sounds to imitate was a car alarm so I learned pretty quickly how to master that particular whistle.

Does Leo actually talk or is he more of a whistles-and-mumbles kind of bird?
        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Senegals are supposed to be one of the quieter species, so your description of your mom's bird sound spot on for a sennie. They also tend to have quite the attitude and in the bird world it's so well known it's been dubbed "sennietude". Y'all are spot on in letting her approach you. That's the best way to gain a bird's trust and cooperation.

Leo doesn't talk. He meows, he mimics the various alert tones on my phone, and he attempts to imitate the macaw's flock call (which is the funniest thing ever, btw), and he chirps and sings at top volume from sunup to sundown. He can be heard several houses away when he gets going. Like I said, he didn't get the memo that he's supposed to be a quiet bird.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Baxter and Sally, curled up on the green "kitty chair." Both are about 10 years old. Baxter is a very large (and fluffy!) Maine Coon, while Sally is a short-haired tabby.
            Attached Files
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              He meows, he mimics the various alert tones on my phone...
              Mango does both of those, and says "Hello, Mango" and "Here kitty kitty", but that's about the limit of the words she knows.
              The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                Mango does both of those, and says "Hello, Mango" and "Here kitty kitty", but that's about the limit of the words she knows.
                She's doing better than Leo. He stubbornly refuses to learn any human words. He should be glad he's cute. Here's his other favorite trick:

Food theft. That cookie is bigger than he is. He was so proud of himself to for getting to it. I caught him right before he got back to his cage.

Comment

Dayum, Math. At that point I might have been like, "Ffffff-....Fine, bird, you earned it. But NO MORE, you hear me?!"
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Dayum, Math. At that point I might have been like, "Ffffff-....Fine, bird, you earned it. But NO MORE, you hear me?!"
                    Shit no. That was my last cookie (that time, anyway). I took that sucker back. He did get what broke off in his beak as I did so, because he wasn't letting it go without a fight.

Comment

Feeling nostalgic, so here are some previous furkids. All lived long happy lives, and passed on. The kitties were born in a friends wood shop, and he said come catch them. The dog was given to us by a family who was in the process of moving to a house with little or no room. We had acreage for her to roam.

Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My avatar is Princess of Hillview.

In one hour, I have to take her to the vet to put her to sleep.

She's been a great cat and will be sorely missed.
                        What do you want for nothin'? R-r-r-r-r-r-rubber biscuit?": Blues Bros.

Comment

Hugs, hugs and more hugs. I'm so sorry her time has come. It's never easy.

Comment

My previous kitty, Snow, who died in 2008. She spent a long time in the shelter before I brought her home in 2007. Nobody wanted her, because she wasn't "perfect." Snow was deaf--she would spaz out if she was asleep and you decided to pet her. That's why she ended up in the shelter. Otherwise, she was very sweet and playful. I only had her 6 months--she had a heart attack in my kitchen, and died in my arms
                            Attached Files
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                            X