This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith in Humanity: Restored

Yesterday I was browsing through my local NextDoor site and ran across an ad from a woman selling a bunch of walnuts. She explained that she had a friend a bit east of here with a bunch of walnut trees, and they'd had a bumper crop this year. Her friend had unloaded a bunch on her, but it was more than she'd ever be able so consume, so she put them in these pretty holiday boxes and was selling them with the intent to donate the proceeds to a local animal rescue group.

I emailed her asking her roughly how much by weight each box was and explained why i was asking. Y'all know about my macaw, Charlotte. I'm rehabilitating her and she's got a ton of issues. Two of the issues are that she's underweight and I have a terrible time getting her to gain weight and keep it on, and also she's got beak strength issues. Four months ago she didn't even have the strength to crack any nut with a shell harder than a peanut. She discovered how tasty walnuts are and figured out how to crack them. This helps her with beak strength, but she also gets as many as she will eat after meals because they're calorie packed and helps with the weight issue. If her boxes were the same cost per pound or less than I usually pay for walnuts, then I'd take several boxes.

She emailed back telling me that she'd happily just give them to me. She was only selling them as a way to raise money to help animals, so giving the to me for Charlotte suits the same purpose. This morning she dropped off a bag of about 10 pounds of walnuts on my front door step! Then she emailed me and said the same friend also has macadamia nut trees, but she'd declined those because they're too hard for her to crack and didn't think she could sell them or give them away as easily as the walnuts. She's going to go back to her friend and see if the macadamia nuts are still available, and if so, she's going to get a bunch for me.

That bag of walnuts would have cost me *at least* $50, at the cheapest price I've ever paid for them. I'm so freaking excited. It's Christmas early for me, and my faith in the goodness of people is restored.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

How wonderful!

Comment

Send her a few photos of Charlotte opening and eating walnuts - and post them here too.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Send her a few photos of Charlotte opening and eating walnuts - and post them here too.
        What wolfie said.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

That's SO awesome! And I definitely third the idea of the pics (or video!) of Charlotte going to town on the nuts!
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Ok, now that's really cool.

And pic request thirded (fourthed?)
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I will get a video later today. She makes the cutest nomnomnom noises when she's happily eating something.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
              X