This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A holiday PSA and message

So we're almost at another bout of Holidays and not everyone has the best environment to go back to. Others may be worn out and others may just not want to give a fuck. I hereby give you permission to stay home, to not socialize, to see non blood relatives, to avoid toxic people and toxic situations.

If anyone tries to guilt you or harass you, I give you permission to block them, hang up on them or leave the room. You have officially been given permission to say fuck christmas and curl up in your bed with a blanket and a horror movie. And if anyone asks how you could do this just tell them Gremcint said you could.

and if they ask who Gremcint is just tell them he's a wonderful man who gave you permission to be healthy this holiday.

I am not saying it's up to me but some people need that extra little push or a reminder that you can actually just opt out. so here you have it.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

And I hope those who need it, listen to it! A coworker is already in a dither -- and it's only going to get worse -- because "The house needs cleaning and decorating and I have to get everything cooked and ... and ... and ..."

And I'm thinking, so STAHHHP. Do NOT sterilize the house. Do NOT feel you have to outdo Martha Stewart in your holiday decor. Do NOT set the kitchen on fire trying to cook and bake all manner of goodies -- what do you think restaurants and bakeries are for??

Anyway, Gremcint, thank you for a timely PSA.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Thanks for the PSA!

Other than the tree being up, I haven't done that much in the way of decorating. Hell, there aren't even decorations on the tree. I didn't bother, since nobody comes over here--family meets at my mom's down the street. I can't say I'm in the Christmas mood at all. Dad left last year, and I feel like crap this year.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

OMG, I thought it was just me!! I've got my tree up, and am faithfully watering it ... but there are NO decorations on it! Well, other than the angel balanced very precariously on the top of the tree. Luckily, nobody will be coming here either. I'll be spending Christmas Day at the nursing home with Mom.

I'm sorry for your family situation, protege. I hope things start looking up in the new year.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Excellent advice. I opted out of the holiday madness several years ago, and don't regret it in the least. Very freeing.

I currently have invitations from friends for Christmas Eve and Christmas afternoon. I may go; I may not. I may hole up until New Years.

Comment

I prioritise. I'll worry about getting cards mailed and gifts wrapped before I worry about whether the lights are up. My wife put the tree up, but now the living room is more like walking through a mine field since she didn't pick up in there before putting up the tree. She also tried to string up lights in the picture window using Scotch tape with -20 temps outside. They stayed up for maybe an hour before the adhesive gave way. Wasted effort if you ask me...

Comment

I have lots of decorations but not much up. I have a two foot little tree up and some stuff around it so that looks festive but I haven't been listening to much Christmas music. Doing just enough to keep festive. I like to do something for mostly every holiday. I'm off for New Year's Eve and I plan to just binge watch something and probably eat a lot of junk food.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

My family doesn't have any big events this time of year, and I'm glad we don't. I do enjoy having a day off, and eggnog and all that good stuff. I don't decorate, though sometimes I put on that video of a fireplace. Anyway, this made me laugh, trying to find ways to keep Christmas trees safe from your cats.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Oooh, eggnog! I forgot to buy any!!

Oddly, my current two cats have absolutely zero interest in trees, real or fake. I'm living in Mom's house and years ago she bought a fake tree that sits flat against the wall -- she left it up year round, just now plugging the lights in during the non-Christmas season.

I now have a live tree in the living room, but they take a couple of sniffs at it and walk away.

Many years ago, I had a live tree and different crop of cats ... I thought I was gonna have to nail the tree to the wall.
                  Last edited by Pixelated; 12-24-2016, 12:26 AM.
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Some people need to get the Christmas Spirit. Eggnog with plenty of rum P.O. PRN STAT!
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      Thanks for the PSA!

Other than the tree being up, I haven't done that much in the way of decorating. Hell, there aren't even decorations on the tree. I didn't bother, since nobody comes over here--family meets at my mom's down the street. I can't say I'm in the Christmas mood at all. Dad left last year, and I feel like crap this year.
                      I managed to get both trees up and decorated, but other than that, the dining room still has the fall themed table linens (can't find the Christmas one and Mom can't remember where she put them) and the stockings and carolers are still put away.

I didn't even get out the Christmas dinnerware today . . .just used regular plates and we all ate in our rooms as normal.

It just doesn't feel like Christmas this year. Blah.

Right now, I'm curled up in the recliner watching Ben-Hur after spending the morning watching A Christmas Story.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                        It just doesn't feel like Christmas this year. Blah.
                        Same here, it's just another day. It hasn't felt like Christmas the past couple of years. Mostly because with the exception of my dad (who I rarely hear from), I see the rest of my family all the time. My mom and brother live down the street, and my other brother lives in the next borough.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                        X