This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like I lost my mother all over again

My mum died in 2003 from lung cancer. She had asked to be buried next to my grandfather but my stepdad couldn't afford it so he had her cremated. Then he paid for her to be put into a viewing room so we could visit the urn for an indeterminate amount of time.

About 5 years ago, he briefly talked to my sister about having a discussion on what to do with her ashes and we never heard anything about it again so we figured he'd bring it up when he was ready. We weren't going to push it on him because from what we understood, he loved her very much and treated her very well.

He treated us well too. Even called us his daughters. Spending time with us, giving us Christmas cards (usually silly ones), spending a heck of alot of time with my nephew (almost every single day for the first ten years of his life) who loved him so much and called him papa. He was always much closer to us than my dad was, and especially to my nephew.

Then a few years ago, his calls and time slowly began dropping off. We eventually were told that he was getting remarried. That's fine, whatever, my mum wouldn't have wanted him to spend life alone and we have always cared about him enough that my sister and I have both slipped up and called him dad sometimes.

His time with us began to be less and less. We started hardly ever talking. And one day when the family was in the park, my nephew saw him and ran over to him and my stepdad ignored him.

But it gets worse. I'm no longer in Canada but he used to spend time with my sister. His calls to me virtually stopped but occasionally if something happened I'd hear from him. My sister and my nephew got to see him maybe once a month.

But then this happened. He hasn't talked to any of us for 3 months. He didn't send a Christmas card even (he used to send pictures, money, and toys for my nephews but that stopped once he got with this new wife).

So I tried to call him. He won't answer. He wouldn't answer my sister or nephew either. We do know he's getting the calls, or someone is, because it shows the texts and calls were heard and seen on the phone and facebook.

And then I started to wonder... what about my mother. He never contacted us about burial, spreading her ashes, or anything, so what about my mother? So I started googling it. I found her name attached to the same cemetery my grandfather is buried in so I looked deeper.

I called the funeral home the funeral was at and her ashes were stored. Her ashes were claimed by him in March 2011. He buried her without telling anyone. He couldn't bury her next to her father so it's in the same cemetery. And on her grave? The memorial paper wrapped in plastic and tapped down. He didn't even give her a gravestone. I had this confirmed by the cemetery who went out to physically look at the grave. If he couldn't have afforded one, my sister and I would have gladly bought one for her, but he didn't even tell anyone he had buried her. Not even her mother. No one knew where she was. We were all under the impression that she was still with the funeral home. We didn't even know he had taken her ashes.

But oh, I'm not done yet. Apparently he had a bunch of boxes at my grandmothers. She had a pipe burst and it got wet. Instead of contacting her children, or her my grandmother (who lived UPSTAIRS), he threw it all out. The only things saved were the picture albums, a few toys, and a book I had made for her. All our memories, school pictures, boxes of things like our report cards, my figure skating badges, it's all gone. Even family heirlooms like a bible and oil lamp brought from Germany when they immigrated over a hundred years ago and have been in the family for generations. All gone. My mum had my grandfathers WWII enlistment papers, and probably even his medals (though mum may have returned those to my grandmother years ago, I don't know for sure and grandma doesn't know where they are). Gone. Everything gone.

He couldn't even talk to us, and ask us what we wanted to keep, if we could have saved anything at all. Our lives. Growing up. It's all gone.

We thought he loved her. We never once thought he'd treat us this way. And now he won't answer the phone to anyone.

How dare anyone behave this way. If it was such an inconvenience for him, he could have just told me and I would have taken charge and done it all. I left it for him because he was her husband and I thought he loved her.

I feel like I've lost her all over again. I know I've lost an important part of my childhood. Of my family.

I contacted a lawyer today in Canada. I'm due to speak with him on Tuesday to see if anything can be done about this. At the least, I want him to pay for part of the gravestone. And I would like recompense for what we lost. I know nothing can ever replace those things that were so important, that represented growing up together, but I want something. We lost so much.

My mum was my best friend. Regardless of how much we drove each other crazy, we spent alot of time together right up until she died. I thought I had moved on, but this just opens up all of it again. That he would treat her and her family with such incredible disrespect.

My mum would be so angry right now.

I have no words except that this is absolutely terrible. I'm so sorry for the losses you've endured. I have angry tears right now.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

What Food Lady said.

I don't know what was behind this -- his new wife, or him alone, or a combination -- but the results are appalling. I know nothing can ever replace the heirlooms and mementos, but hopefully if nothing else he will have to look you and your family members in the eye in a court or a lawyer's office -- if he can.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I'm so sorry. My jaw just dropped lower and lower as I read. That was a shitty thing to do, all of it. Frankly my money is on the new wife, who feels like your family is her competition. I'd bet on that. But that means he's not standing up to her, so I don't know.

Good luck with the lawyers. Your stepdad at the very least should have to face you and tell you why he did it. AND he should APOLOGIZE. It won't put things to rights but he owes it to you.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Thank you everyone. I really have to say, I'm glad I'm on the anxiety medicine and the antidepression medicine right now (long story that results in very early menopause and a cancer diagnosis that is 99.99% survivable. I can't take hormone replacement therapy). I'd be alot worse off right now.

I don't have a valid passport or I'd take a plane home, show up on his doorstep, and kick him in the privates. We all had a blowout a year ago but I thought we were over it because shit happens among family. But this betrayal...

I raised my sister for a year and a half so I'm angry for her and for my nephew too. And my mum, my mum would be livid. I'm so glad she isn't here to see this because it would send her back into the massive depression she was under for years. She'd be so angry.

I haven't been this angry since I found out my first husband cheated on me. I haven't been this hurt. You know, there are times in this world that you feel your life has changed forever. The one thing I was always fairly sure of was that if mum couldn't be here for us, he would. The rest of the family has never treated and loved us the way mum did, but he came close. Or so I thought. So I lost her all over again and now I feel like I've lost my dad too even though my biological dad is still alive.

I'm sorry, I'm going on a rant. I don't mean to. I don't know how to handle this one. I wish I could be with my sister right now.

Comment

Rant all you want. You have every right to feel what you do right now and this is a great place to let it out. We're here.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Damn, hon. Rant away, that's a shitty thing for him to do to you.

Comment

I'm upset for you. That was awful of him. *hugs*
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Thank you everyone. Its appreciated. I thought i was over it. I'm not. I can't stop thinking about it.

Comment

I would have a difficult time too. <3 *hugs*
                    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                    -----

Comment

Absolutely heart-breaking. You seem to be taking this better than I would.

This makes the issue with my wife's siblings and my own brother seem trivial. My brother and my wife's brother have never gotten my boys presents for their birthdays or at Christmas. My wife's older sister has only gotten gifts for my older son for his first Christmas and first birthday. Nothing since. They all have healthy incomes so can afford to send something if for no other reason to let us know that they care at all.

Older sister has two girls (16 & 10). We have always remembered them at Christmas and their birthdays, and even some surprise presents through out the year. Even years when money was tight and it would have been understandable if we weren't able to send a gift. They both always got a present from us.

I have been considering discontinuing gifts to my nieces, but that would be just petty, especially after reading what you have been put through. I am terribly sorry.

Comment

I don't know about taking it better. I cried for three hours the first night I found out. And I'm having trouble sleeping. The lawyer didn't contact me so I'm gong to try to contact him tomorrow. I'm trying to be rational. He's lucky I live in a different country because I'd have already been over to his house and kicked the living shit out of him. And I don't care that he's ex military or that he's bigger than me. I'm tired of being treated like dirt by people constantly. And THIS time, I can do something about it. My husband even said he supports whatever we feel the need to do in this matter. That sob, how dare he treat my mother, my sister and I and her boys this way.

Comment

Yeah, so just when you think it's not over, his twit of a wife sends me a nasty message over HIS facebook calling me a cunt, and telling me that we "rule him" whatever that means, considering I've barely spoken to him in the past couple of years, except to ask what was going on with the Christmas cards coming with her hand writing and not his, and to tell him about my surgery. He stopped calling ME years ago. She mentioned something about me sending him an application for a Canadian passport (you know... 4 years ago) and forgetting to send money with it only I sent a money ORDER, it's not my fault he lost it. And then when I said I'd resend a new one he said he'd pay for it instead.

The only thing I've ever wanted from him for his to talk to me, and to have something to do with my sister and my nephew. Neither of which ask for anything from him other than his time. He used to enjoy babysitting my nephew and they used to do stuff together all the time until she came around. Hell, he told my nephew that he bought a kayak so they could go kayaking together and they did... twice. Then he stopped talking to my nephew after meeting his nasty twit of a wife.

And it's not just the fact that she called me bitch and cunt, it's the fact that her messages are like reading something posted by someone that's high as a kite. The words don't make sense strung together, her spelling and grammar are more atrocious than a kindergartner, and I outright asked her if she was high.

She even tried to call me over facebook twice, and there was no way in hell I was going to answer just so that horrible woman could yell at me. She even left a message and I deleted it without listening.

I finally told her to lay off and that none of this was any of her business. Then I texted him (he didn't respond) to tell his stupid twit of a wife to stop harassing me over facebook and suddenly the messages stopped.

Which brought it all back up again when I was finally starting to move on, and left me in tears for almost two hours.

If you want, I'm perfectly willing to share the messages, just be aware that I gave as good as I got. I'm not letting this twit treat me like trash, and she's lucky I'm not back in Canada at the moment.

This man was present when both my nephews were born. He helped when I had my accident, he was there for my sister when she was in the car crash. And the completely ignoring us a million times worse than if he'd just talk to us. Or even have talked to us in the past.

I'm just so tired of the crap.

Comment

*lots of hugs*
                            -----

Comment

Working...
                            X