This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowpacalypse '17 . . . Roll Call

We've been hit with several inches of snow between last night and this afternoon (finally ended by 2 and the sun is shining now and melting some off the trees.)

Right now, we've got approximately 8 inches here in the middle of NC. Temps are only in the upper 20's now and we're expecting the low to dive to around 2 degrees!

Right now, I'm snuggled in my recliner in front of the fireplace watching my DVR.

Who else is snowed in today and are you okay?
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

In the Dallas area, we got a "dusting", and it damn near shut the town down, as well as surrounding areas. It really screwed up traffic, too.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I'm at MAGFest this weekend in National Harbor, MD. We got some snow this morning. Maybe an inch. It didn't really stick to any pavement, but it remains effing cold as hell.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

We keep getting snow here. It's not like we get tons and tons, I think the most we have had at once this year is three inches, but we aren't good with snow. Plus, it's been odd. For example, one time it rained at night, froze, then snowed all day. Normally it snows at night, then melts and rains during the day.

Still, it hasn't been really bad, and the nearest big city (Seattle) only gets rain so it doesn't get on the news very much. Vancouver BC gets a lot more, but I think they're more used to it.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Atlanta metro area got between 1-4 inches. About 1.5 at my place. As it came in later Friday, we didn't have the problems like last time. Most of the roads are clear. Only had about 36,000 without power. News I saw around 1:00 PM said that was down to 1500.

I'd say we fared rather well.

Stsy safe everyone.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

It was supposed to be "get the ark ready" rainstorms here today. We've had mild showers and some wind. As storms go, I'm really not impressed.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Reporting in from the Not-quite-deep-south here, with a pic of our onslaught of the white stuff:

In other "not news at all" news: people can't drive in weather like this for shit, and it caused businesses to close up early or just plain not open.
              Attached Files
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

As far as I'm concerned you are in the deepest south. I'm flabbergasted that you got snow. I would expect things to close because of course y'all have no frame of reference for driving in that. Meanwhile, in WI, it would take feet of snow to knock our power out, and not even then unless it was wet, heavy snow or ice, or if it were really windy.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

An hour or two ago I wondered what the *beepbeepbeep* outside was ... looked out and a plow was going down the road.

However ... it doesn't actually seem to be snowing ...

We do have a light covering of snow that fell over the past day or so. Nothing to write home about. I actually wish it would snow ... or at least be overcast. It is brutal out there (southern Ontario). Of course, my brother in Saskatoon just snickered when I complained ...
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

A paper-thin dusting in Max Klinger's home town. Just enough to cause the marginal drivers who populate our roads to go skidding into each other. It really doesn't take much.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

In other "not news at all" news: people can't drive in weather like this for shit, and it caused businesses to close up early or just plain not open.
                      People here can't drive in good weather . . .let alone when we get a few inches of snow.

And places were closed up early, which I discovered last night due to the fact that I was out of smokes and needed to make a run, but the car is still buried.

I discovered Uber on my phone and was back from the quickie mart in less than 15 minutes w/a couple of packs to hold me until I can (hopefully) get my new vape mod in (my pink one died at work Friday and I have no backup and the new one I ordered yesterday may not be here before this coming weekend.) Mom didn't even know I was gone.

Speaking of closed, when I got out around 8:30 last night, the Green of Wall was closed up and lights were off. Not a car in their parking lot on either side. Luckily though the Marathon store across the street was open, so I was luckily in and out in a few seconds.

Back roads I noticed last night were still passable, but only if you take your time, which my driver did.

Last night the temp dove down to 9 degrees! It's currently 18 degrees according to my phone. I am curled back up in the recliner, watching Superman III (last night it was 3 eps of the A-Team I had recorded last weekend from that season 5 marathon that aired on NYD.)

And I dread going in to work tomorrow in this mess. The temps are supposed to dive down even lower - to 4 degrees! That should make any melting that happens today refreeze (the sun is out and pretty bright ATM) so tomorrow should be interesting.

Oh well, deal with it in the morning. I'll text Grasshopper around 6 to see if he can swing by to pick me up. If not, there's Uber.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The forecast for here is back to good ol' rain for the next 6 out of 10 days and I couldn't be happier about it.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Send some here.Much more interesting than grey,dull mizzle all day. It's been black over Bill's mother's for the whole weekend.
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Got about 4-5" of fluffy white stuff here in north-central MA over much of the course of Saturday, though a friend of mine in the southeastern part of the state (not quite Cape Cod, but close) got over a foot. Things were mostly uneventful around here, apart from the fact that I chose to take a drive not too long before the snow started to fall. Made getting home interesting, but I made it back in one piece, as did the classic stereo equipment I'd gone out to pick up.
                            -Adam
                            Goofy music!
                            Old tech junk!

Comment

Winter is winter around here. We've got the usual snow, a couple of times the city was closed down despite it not being too bad. However, yesterday we got one heck of an ice storm. A majority of the sidewalks are ice rinks, and I was absolutely astounded that my street wasn't a diagonal ice rink this morning. But we're mostly alive and kicking around here today

Comment

Working...
                              X