X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel silly for being sad but...

Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here!:/ Sorry if not right

So the past week I went on vacation using my employee discount at my chain and I was really excited. Because vacation! Party time! The last thing I wanted to think about was work and have fun. When I checked in, the clerk had to move me because my room wasn't ready yet. It took a long time but knowing how it is, I completely understood and told her so. Instead of smiling in relief, she trembled and mumble sorries and looked at me like I was going to attack her. Even though I reassured her, she still kept mumbling sorry. It made me feel bad because then I completely understood HER reaction and made me think that she was once a normal person that was turned into a quivering mess of "sorries" by some creatures from Hell yelling and screeching over something that wasn't her fault. She was really nervous. It made me feel bad, and then worse, being reminded of said creatures. Does anyone else feel like this as a customer at their own jobs, or am I being oversensitive and silly? Even writing about it makes me very very very sad. And upset. But I'm curious...
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

I'm assuming, since you understood her situation, you did all of that with courtesy and a smile.

Did you, perchance, get her name? I might have found somewhere to buy some sort of "thank you" card and given it to her. That might have helped things.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

One of the other GSAs at my hotel is kind of like that, but it's because of some things that she's been through in her personal life in the past year that have created some social anxiety. She tends to get really chatty at work when she's nervous. I try to be supportive as best I can, it isn't always a history of bad customers that make people gun-shy. Sometimes other things can play a role too.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Kind of mixed, very nice till the point I have to tell them how to do their job.
        Happens all the time when I go back to AZ autoparts for warranties. Their lifetime is just that and I have stuff in there back to the mid 90's. But I know what's there. When I was still there I was able to clean my file and put in all the misc info that may not get entered. So don't tell me it's not in there.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Working...
        X