Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What horror movie should I watch next?

I've been on a horror movie binge lately (it started just before Halloween and I couldn't seem to give it up), and I seem to be running out of movies to watch. If anyone could suggest something (preferably streamable on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon), that would be great.

A few criteria:

-I enjoy originality. Original monsters, original folklore, original plots. I'll also accept anything that is based off real mythology but less well known (like Sinister), or ideas that aren't often featured in films.
    -I really don't like psychological thrillers. If you're going to suggest one, it must be spectacular.
    -As for demon/possession movies, I feel like if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Originality is DEFINITELY appreciated in this category.
    -Same goes for movies like Halloween or Friday the 13th. I don't really care for serial killers that get reincarnated 483759303 times.
    -I would prefer movies in English, as I can't always focus enough to read the subtitles on foreign movies.

And... go!
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Have you ever seen the (wonderfully cheesy) Evil Dead/Army of Darkness series?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I always rather like Dog Soldiers, although to be fair that was more of a buddy army film that happens to include werewolves.

Sean of the Dead is good if you like comedy horror.

The first Hellraiser is good, but after that they start getting silly.

The Ring scared the cr@p out of me, the first film to do it in years (films that rely on building tension rather than numerous jump scares do that to me). YMMV on that, though, as people either fall into my end of the category (scary) to those who found it boring (jump scare/gore fest addicts).

I'd second the Evil Dead trilogy, although be warned that the second film is basically the first film re-shot with a bigger budget and a different ending. I quite enjoyed watching them back to back and picking up on the differences, though (I am a bit weird like that).
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

The greatest horror movie of all time:

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy0fTFpqT48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj2uvp-rNyo

I'm kidding, of course, but this was a real movie...a real bad movie...

In all seriousness, have you ever seen Brainscan?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainscan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYB220St1uo

Also, Demon Knight was pretty good...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Knight

As far as "psychological" thrillers...watch the old Alfred Hitchcock episode "Final Escape". It's only an hour or so long, but it'll mess with your head. You might see the ending coming, but the ending will still mess with your head.

https://the.hitchcock.zone/wiki/The_...-_Final_Escape

It was also remade in the 1980's, but only as a half-hour episode, with some of the characters changed around a bit.

Though I'm probably not the best judge of horror. It's not really my genre.
        Last edited by mjr; 01-12-2017, 01:39 PM.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I just watched an Iranian film called Under the Shadow that is about something rarely used in Western stories, so you might like it.

The Descent kept me up at night, as well as The Blair Witch Project (although since then the found footage thing has become waaaay overdone, when I first saw it nothing like that had ever been made before, save maybe Cannibal Holocaust which I do not recommend).

I like Suspiria and Deep Red, but it kind of depends on how you feel about giallo-type stuff.

Session 9 is one of my favorite creepy films. I also enjoyed one called The Hallow, because it also makes use of a creature rarely seen in a horror context.

Pulse is an excellent Japanese film and I enjoyed Shutter (from Thailand). The Devil's Backbone and The Orphanage are creepy as hell but I hesitate to call them horror films, because they have so much heart. Excellent movies.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I love 13 Ghosts. One of my forever favorites

The Audition is a psychological thriller, but it's also from japan. I can't remember if it had subtitles or not

Pan's Labyrinth, is "dark fantasy". It also has subtitles. It is, however a great movie

I second Shaun of the Dead.

I love, LOVE Cabin in the Woods. it's sort of a horror/sci fi/comedy. One of my favorite movies ever

Zombieland is my other very favorite

Donnie Darko is a weird, kinda psychological bizarre movie, but it's fun

Comment

Quoth April View Post
              I've got this at home on DVD. Forgot all about it.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I thought of a bunch more as soon as I left the computer...

The Innocents, The Haunting and Burnt Offerings if you don't mind old movies.

I liked The Woman in Black a lot.

Wes Craven's The People Under the Stairs and Candyman- though I mostly like Candyman because Tony Todd is a criminally underrated actor.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I've seen a lot of the movies listed here, most of them were pretty good, but I appreciate all of the new suggestions. First thing though, I started Hellraiser but never finished it, I should probably start there.
                  The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I think the 2011 version of Red Riding Hood qualifies for this.

A horror movie with a comedic element is Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth April View Post
                      Is that the one with the 100% glass house? That was more jump scares and gore than suspense, so I'll admit I found it a bit meh.

Quoth April View Post
                      I love, LOVE Cabin in the Woods. it's sort of a horror/sci fi/comedy. One of my favorite movies ever

Zombieland is my other very favorite
                      I loved the way this played with horror movie tropes. Great fun!

Zombieland is basically American!Shaun of the Dead, so if you like one you'll probably like the other.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                      I liked The Woman in Black a lot.
                      I liked this too; more the Hammer Horror style of horror (building lots of suspense with minimal jump scares until you're ready to scream) rather than more modern horror (lots of gratuitous jump scares and gore-fests so there's no real building of suspense).
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Seconding a vote for "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil". Great fun.

Would recommend "The Babadook". One of the most... adult horrors I've seen in a while, and by that I mean it's a story for mature people and not just jump-scare, slasher-type, gory stuff.

With the recent passing of William Peter Blatty, I would suggest seeing "The Exorcist" if you haven't. The second is a wreck, so avoid (unless you like that sort of thing), but the third has some interesting moments (I liked it).

Looking on my movie shelves, here's a couple more titles...

- "Bubba Ho-Tep" (horror comedy, man living in retirement home who thinks he is Elvis fights Egyptian monster. Watch twice, once for movie, once to listen to commentary by Elvis!)

- "John Dies at the End" (sci-fi/horror/comedy, young guys take drug that enhances their perception into the realm of supernatural things)

- "Phantasm", the original (low budget, dream-like weirdness)

- "The Final Girls" (another horror-comedy, making fun of the 'summer camp slasher' genre)

- "Green Room" (more thriller but scarier than most horror movies... especially Patrick Stewart's performance)

- "The House of the Dead" (low budget, creepy)

- "It Follows" (another 'modern take on 80's horror convention' movie, teens try to deal with unstoppable thing chasing them)

- "Rosemary's Baby" (the classic. Nothing beats a classic)

- "The Sacrement" (shot like a Vice documentary, it's a fictionalized retelling of the Jonestown story)

- "Trick 'r Treat" (horror anthology, set at Halloween in small town with weird things going on)

- "Southbound" (another anthology, with people traveling through a deserted part of the US as the main linking feature... all the stories are kind of connected)

- "Trollhunter" (Norwegian "found footage" horror about the country's only Troll control officer)

- "You're Next" (family trapped in house by unknown killers, but there is more going on...)

- "The Guest" (action/thriller. Distressed family invited stranger into their home because he served in the military with the family's late son, but the stranger has a secret... starring "Downton Abbey's" Dan Stevens!)
                        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Watch "Freaks". A classic, sadly underrated.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                            - "Bubba Ho-Tep" (horror comedy, man living in retirement home who thinks he is Elvis fights Egyptian monster. Watch twice, once for movie, once to listen to commentary by Elvis!)
                            I forgot about that one. I have it but didn't realize my copy had the commentary by Elvis. I going to have to watch it again.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                            X