Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've got a question about cell phone plans/data plans...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a question about cell phone plans/data plans...

As a few of you know, I think my current cell phone is gradually failing. I can still use it, but I can only use it now on speaker phone. So I turn the speaker phone down to a reasonable volume and use it like a "standard" phone.

Anyway, I'm not a customer who spends a ton of money (comparatively) on my cell plan. My wife and I, combined, have a cell bill of just around $75 to $80 per month. And that's with no data.

I've been looking at data plans and phones. I would really like an unlimited plan, but even through my current carrier that's around $100/month, before fees & taxes, and the monthly price of the phone.

The smaller data plans (it's 4G up to X number of GB, then they throttle you back to 2G) are obviously less expensive (but not necessarily less expensive per GB), but have these "access fees" of $25 per line.

So even if I went with the 1GB plan, that's still going to be $50 (line access fees), $20 or so for the plan itself, and $15-$20 in other taxes and fees. So that by itself is going to put me between $80 and $90/month.

For things like this, 1GB doesn't seem like much at all. I'm not sure what I'd be using the data for (probably just checking email and maybe downloading a few apps), but 1GB per month doesn't seem like a lot, even if my wife tells me she's not going to really be using any data.

So I guess the question is this: I know it doesn't count for much that I've been a customer of QuickRun for years. It's probably not helpful that I only pay $75 or $80/month for their service. It's probably not helpful that I don't want a "family plan" with 4 cell phones or whatever. It's also probably not helpful (and probably still in their computer system) that my wife yelled at them when she was 9 months pregnant, over 11 years ago.

So is there anything I could ask for them to waive? Because even the minimum price per month for a phone that I found ($5, though I really want a Galaxy S7) still pushes me toward the $90/month thing.

I just can't really get past the $50 in access fees. I think I'd rather have extra data available.

Any thoughts?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Step one is do you have to stay with your current carrier? Could you find a better deal elsewhere?

Other than that I got nothing on US advice, it seems much murkier than the UK's plans.
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

I don't know about you, but I hardly use any data since I'm nearly always around a wifi hotspot. But, your phone will have various options to keep track of how much you use. There's options to alert you, or limit usable, etc. Then you could see how much you really use, without going over.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
        I don't know about you, but I hardly use any data since I'm nearly always around a wifi hotspot. But, your phone will have various options to keep track of how much you use. There's options to alert you, or limit usable, etc. Then you could see how much you really use, without going over.
        Thing is, I haven't had a data plan before, so I don't know how much I'm actually going to use. And I don't have WiFi at home. I'm guessing during the day at work I'll probably be fine, but other than that, I really don't know.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
        X