Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Members downstream from the Oroville dam...is everybody safe?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Members downstream from the Oroville dam...is everybody safe?

Evacuations below the dam as officials fear "imminent" breech of the emergency spillway. Are any members in the evacuation area? Everybody safe?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/12/us/cal...ure/index.html
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

That is terrifying. Those poor people. Hope the dam holds.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I pray for them my son wheel chair manufacture is out in cali so im not sure if any of them live in the effected areas. With that said I hope that it hold for the sake of the community, for the state eh they apparently were warned of this and took no action

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        That is terrifying. Those poor people. Hope the dam holds.
        The dam itself is in no danger. It is only the spillway that is having problems. It has a big hole in it which could lead to a lot of erosion and release of an excessive amount of water.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

still BIG disaster if they cant fix it and with them expecting more rain latter this week and there afraid if that happens it will send a wall of water. I hope they get something in place other wise many people could be left with nothing

Comment

Last I looked they got the water level down to a few feet below maximum capacity, and were starting some temporary repairs of both the emergency and regular spillways in an effort to drain it to 50 feet below max. capacity in preparation for storms expected later in the week. The potential for major catastrophe is still there, but people are breathing a little easier tonight. Now the focus is on less catastrophic damage resulting from eroded sediment that's washing downstream from the water going over the emergency spillway. There's concern that debris can damage bridges and other structures as it moves downstream. It's a good thing, however, that they're even thinking about that, as even though it was just the emergency spillway that was threatening to fail, that's still a whole lot of water that would be released.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Im at work and they have news sites blocked so thanks for the update... But not facebook.

Comment

It seems half the weather-related stories from California have their roots in too much rain - and the other half have their roots in too little.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  ... too much ... too little ...
                  Absent center Goldilocks antinomy.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

The last report I had was that they had the main spillway, damage and all, running at 100,000 cubic feet per second. To put that number in some perspective, that's a little over 748,000 gallons a second, or 20% MORE than goes over Niagara Falls in the same time (avg. for the falls is just under 85,000 cu. ft. per second). And that's a controlled release.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Looks like evocations were lifted glad that so far it is okay but they need to do something before they get more rain.

Comment

My great-grandma, who's almost 100 and the only great-great grandmother on either side of my family, had to be evacuated. She says she's staying at a friend's and isn't allowed to go home yet, they're still trying to work on a fix while waiting to see if the rain will make it any worse.
                        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

now there worried about mud slides in south cali that's about all I have seen I saw they were lifted but if not hope she can go home soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X