This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom is disappearing

My mother has Parkinson's. It is not only affecting her (control over her) body, but also her mind. She is sometimes hallucinating, she mis-remembers things, and words don't come out right.

She has been in an assisted living facility since late last year, and she is going downhill at a slow but accelerating rate. (Not sure if it's at 9.8 m/s^2 or not.)

I stopped in early this week, and she asked if I was really there. Because I and my step-father had been there earlier that day, evidently, but wouldn't talk to her. (Despite the fact that I was at work at the time, and he was up at the house and not at Mom's.)

She also called me yesterday to ask if I had spent the afternoon with her. I had not; I was at work again.

She knows she is hallucinating. That has got to really, really, really suck.

Pretty hard on me, too.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

I had an uncle with Parkinson's -- I didn't know hallucinations could be part of that. I'm so sorry. That's gotta be really tough on everybody.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

It is really tough. I lost my Mom to dementia. As was mentioned in Kanalah's thread about her grandmother, it's like they died twice.

Prayers and good thoughts to you and your family.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

My mom has had Parkinson's since she was in her early 40s. She's now in her late 60s. One thing that greatly improved her quality of life was http://www.parkinson.org/understandi...in-Stimulation

Your mom may or may not be a candidate but it's worth looking into.

My prayers are definitely with you and your mother.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Sending good thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Other than that, the only advice I can offer you is to take things one day at a time.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

*hugs NunavutPants*
            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
            -----
            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
            X