This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog probably has cancer

So our oldest dog, Hopper (6 weeks away from turning 12 years old) has two large lumps under his jaw. Took him to the vet, she did a needle biopsy and sent them off for analysis.

Lab came back today saying it's highly suggestive of lymphoma. But for a more definitive analysis we should do a surgical biopsy. But here's the problem:
    For the last two years, he's been dealing with laryngeal paralysis, which means that instead of his larynx being a nice round pipe, it's collapsed, meaning his breathing is laboured (and even more so when he's hot - we got him a cooling vest to help in summer and it makes a HUGE difference). He couldn't go for surgery for that because of his age. And this issue means that any kind of surgery that requires full anesthesia is very high risk.

A surgical biopsy needs full anesthesia. My vet (who adores Hopper and we fucking love her, she's awesome), has said it's high risk, but should we decide to do the biopsy, she'll be very careful and extra vigilant.

We're just not sure if it's worth putting him through the trauma of surgery. Should it be the type of lymphoma that requires chemo, we wouldn't be able to pursue that avenue of treatment. Chemo takes a lot out of the body, and we're not sure putting him through *that* would be worth it.

So right now it's a case of quality of life vs quantity of life. He's got arthritis in his hips, he has cataracts and the laryngeal issue. But he still goes for (short) walks, he still ambles around the garden with the other pooches and has a very healthy appetite. Beardyman and I are going to discuss it when he gets home from work (Hopper *LOVES* him. Like adores him), but right now I'm leaning strongly towards just regular full blood panels and monitoring him. Could use some happy thoughts please.
    Attached Files
    The report button - not just for decoration

He's so cute. Praying/sending hopeful thoughts. *hugs you and Beardyman and pets the puppydog*
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Sometimes the best we can do is to keep them comfortable and happy for as long as possible. Then we pray that God will take them quickly and quietly before we are forced to make the decision that we don't want to make.

Prays for you, beardyman and Hopper. And an ear scritch for Hopper.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
        Sometimes the best we can do is to keep them comfortable and happy for as long as possible. Then we pray that God will take them quickly and quietly before we are forced to make the decision that we don't want to make.

Prays for you, beardyman and Hopper. And an ear scritch for Hopper.
        ^^^^ This. I've seen cats come and go all through my adult life and it's never an easy decision to make. Sending good thoughts and to all of you, and an extra to Hopper.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Our dog Sandy was diagnosed with a liver tumor about four years ago. We were told he had about six months to live. He will be 16 in May and is still going strong, although his weight has dropped from 25 to 17 pounds over the past several years.

He is a Corgi-Dachshund mix. Their life span is supposedly 11-13 years. Mrs. IA and I have been involved in a lot of energy healing work and we suspect that has been very beneficial to Sandy.

This isn't him but he looks very similar.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            ... He is a Corgi-Dachshund mix...
            My daughter has visitation & house-sitting with a Corgi and is going to get her own, now that she has a house. Slung-Lo by Erin McKeown
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I feel your pain, we lost two cats to cancer.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Hugs to the doggie.

Lost the Best Cat in the World to an aggressive melanoma a number of years ago, and still not completely over it.
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                X