This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Things I Learneded Today

Today, I got to find out a few cool things about calendars.

The months September,October,November,December mean 7th,8th,9th and 10th month-which they aren't.

But until 1752,New Year's Day was in March-making their position in the calendar agree with their names.

And why did they choose March-because it was decided the calendar should start at the most important point of the year-Christmas Day.Then it was pointed out that if we were starting it from Christ's arrival on Earth,that really should be 9 months earlier-which leads to March 25 or Lady Day-the old New Year's Eve.

Also in 1752,they jiggled the calendar around and removed 11 days from it. If you hop forward 11 days from March 25,you land on April 5-which is why the tax year still starts then... :P
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

I had heard that Julius Caesar added the month of July, and then his successor Augustus added August, which is what bumped September down two months to the ninth month...
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I have now learnt what a paper bag party is. This knowledge does not make me feel any better...
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I just saw on my brother's facebook that playing cards are a type of calendar. Fifty-two cards=52 weeks. Huh. That would've never occurred to me.

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question20270.html
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          I just saw on my brother's facebook that playing cards are a type of calendar. Fifty-two cards=52 weeks. Huh. That would've never occurred to me.

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question20270.html
          That reminded me of the old Tex Ritter song Deck of Cards.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
            I have now learnt what a paper bag party is. This knowledge does not make me feel any better...
            Googled it. Jeebus ... that is pretty appalling.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Is this something from Urban Dictionary? [worried look]
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

It's from Mississippi.....its SFW but just not pleasant

Comment

Does it have something to do with skin tone?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Does it have something to do with skin tone?
                    Yes, it does.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                    X