This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitty's puzzles...

Try testing your brains on these little humdingers.

NUMBER 1

A great long line of men stands before you

Occasionally 2 and 3 stand side by side

1 was a lover.

1 was extremely funny.

3 were winners.

4 were lucky.

8 were from the city.

12 were devout.

13 had done nothing wrong.

14 showed mercy.

NUMBER 2

If a word has a certain property, it is a United Word. Use the examples below to find the property

United,not-united
    ALMOND,WALNUT
    ALPACA,LLAMA
    CALAMARI,SQUID
    COCA COLA,PEPSI COLA
    CONCORDE,JUMBO JET
    COOK,CHEF
    DECADE,CENTURY
    FLAK,FIRE
    FLORAL,FLOWERY
    INKY,PENCIL
    INLAND,COASTAL
    MAINLAND,OFFSHORE
    MEMORIAL,MONUMENT
    NECTAR,AMBROSIA
    RIMS,TYRES
    SCALAR,VECTOR

And two absolute killers

NUMBER 3

*It's been a thrilling few days of puzzling here at the American Puzzling Championships, where representatives of the 48 contiguous states have been sharing their mental abilities. Here's some of the highlights of the competition. Pictures will be available in our online storage album.

*Maine's puzzler was removed in the first round after suffering some sort of breakdown and writing 'I am a puzzling genius' on the walls of the room, declaring himself to be a 'mighty mighty codfish' and passing out in a heap.

*Glory was not to be for a second year for last year's runner-up Florida, who surprisingly was among those crashing out in the second round.

*Unbelievable scenes in the fourth round as last year's winner Oregon went out and with defeated semi-finalists Wisconsin and Texas also tumbling out, it would be an all-new final four this year.

*Really dazzling this time were the puzzlers from New Mexico and Nevada, who on their very first events, made it all the way to the fifth round- a bright future seems to await them.

*Wyoming and South Dakota puzzlers provided the 'highlight' of the 6th round with rather unseemly brawl as puzzle boards and tables went flying. The unlucky Pennsylvania puzzler had to withdraw injured after being caught up in the melee and having a Puzzle TabletTM forcibly inserted into an orifice.

*Come the last rounds, the field was whittled down to our two unlucky losers who got knocked out in the 7th round and two star puzzlers going head to head in the 8th and final round.

*They will now be displayed on our electronic computer board... Let's see who they are...

*The 4 gallant puzzlers are...

*0h. That's not quite the message I was expecting.

YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE PUZZLE FIENDS. WORK IT OUT YOUR DAMN SELVES. I'VE GONE OFF TO ENTERTAIN MYSELF WITH THAT CUTE LITTLE LAPTOP IN THE SCORING ROOM.

So... what are you waiting for? Do what the computer says... I am, in fact, off to the scoring room right now, with a rather nice little blonde...

NUMBER 4

Having competed at the American Puzzling Championships and done your state proud, you begin the long drive back home.

'This is the life' you think with music pumping out and the desert wind in your hair.'All I need is something yummy to tuck into-and since I don't have any blondes here now, I'll have to make do with sandwiches'-which you realize dejectedly are sat on the table back at Puzzle Hall...Oh dear.

You're grateful to see in the distance the lights of what seems to be a diner. As you get nearer, you see with relief the large green mermaid poised on the sign that tells you not only in the desert does any woman look welcoming, but there's a Starbucks ahead. Boy do they get everywhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

On walking in, you're impressed-this is a posh place for such a remote location. Everything is immaculate-the black and white chequer floor is spotless. There's a poster on the wall inviting you to holiday on sunny Oahu- but from the window next to it, the landscape is even more superb- you can see the top of a peak disappearing into the clouds-it even has snow on its cap! They've even done the place up for Valentine's-under a sign saying 'A present for your darling' are bunches of traditional Valentine's flowers.

Before you can go up to order, a huge bank of mist pours in across the front of the counter so it disappears completely. As you flap frantically to waft it out of your eyes and see where you are going, a voice emerges from it.

'Ah there you are. Top o'the morning to you. Sorry about this-it's to keep you away from me.' Sheesh, Starbucks really have increased security haven't they! And the most beautiful coffee server you have ever seen emerges out of the haze. Not only has she a got a stunning visage, she has a gorgeous bust-which she has caught you looking at...so you quickly pretend you're looking at some sort of award pinned next to her chest.

'Welcome to our shop.So where have you come from?'

'American Puzzling Championships'

'Oh really? And how did you do there then?'

'Got through to the fifth round'.

'Impressive. Well, let's get you fed then. I can do you a jacket spud with scallion'.

'That sounds good to me. How about some cheese to go inside it?'

'Ah, now if that's what you're wanting, you have to do it on that table over there. I can't be doing that for you now'

And indeed on the table behind you are the accompaniments with a small sign- "Chilli/Cheese/Tuna/Beans..(ONE ONLY!) 10c. Please put money into the hole provided.

'You're a puzzling champ then-hmm then this'll test you to be sure. Many have tried but none have succeeded. You see back in the old country, a leprechaun put a spell on me. I'm imprisoned behind this counter forever until it's solved and then I shall not only be free, but I have pledged to wed the man who solves it.'

Oh great. Why do the pretty ones always have to be completely bonkers?

'So what you need to do is choose two items for me and two for you and throw them into the mist. If you're right, you get me as your betrothed. If not, you get....' and she makes a squashing motion.

And there on a large chair under the window is a selection of items laid out and a small sign.

CHOOSE WISELY.RIGHT ITEM,RIGHT REASON-YOU GET THE GIRL TO MARRY YOU.WRONG ITEM,WRONG REASON-YOU GET SQUISHED.

What a mind-boggling selection of items are there....

a salt shaker a cauliflower a roulette wheel and balls a drawing of the zodiac a cogwheel a lump of beeswax a bowl of mixed fruit a small packet of butter a bag with arrows in a champagne cork a chunk of natural honey a diamond

Confident that this is no match for an experienced puzzler, you choose your two objects, her two objects...and await your fate...

If you liked that sort and wanted more,head over to puzzling.stackexchange.com and join us...
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Those are definitely some puzzlers. I looked up the first three. They make sense, once thought about. The fourth one is the one I can't figure out.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
    X