X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody help identify this?

Went past this place a day or two ago
    Now 'arcanus hortus' is mysterious garden,and so I assume the squiggles underneath mean the same-but what language-it doesn't look like Arabic?
    Perhaps some sort of herbal business-we are not far from Totnes,where every other garden grows something to heal your anatomy/soul/realign you with Mother Earth....
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Funny you get an hit for this exact thing on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe.../Miscellaneous
    (you have to scroll a bit to get to it)
    Whilst on my travels, I found this sign Arcanus hortus I've got as Latin for mysterious garden, but the squiggles underneath baffle me... If as I suspect it also means mysterious garden,then what language is it in-doesn't appear to be Arabic? Lemon martini (talk) 17:26, 6 March 2017 (UTC)
    Where did you take the picture? ←Baseball Bugs What's up, Doc? carrots→ 17:53, 6 March 2017 (UTC)The car number plate is British, and the rubbish bins are marked South Hams District Council (in Devon) - which makes me suspect that the squiggles may be some sort of alchemical or pseudo-magical script. Wymspen (talk) 18:31, 6 March 2017 (UTC)Yes, it would help to know exactly where you took it. Then you can go to google street view and look at the whole building afresh. Maybe, it is a rear entrance to a restaurant of that name or something and the frontage gives a telephone number (or a neighbouring building shows a telephone number). If so 'just' phone and ask for more info. After all, for someone to deploy such a script, they must a sense of humour and welcome WTFDTM questions. Alternatively, pop a letter into their post box (shown on the gates) containing a self-address post card (and email address) asking for an explanation to aid your further edification. It could be a court-yard type of flat/apartment conversion. Hence the name (as it is out of sight).Say that, because the floor is not the typical cheap concrete hard standing but an expensive stone floor suggesting a Des Res behind those wrought iron gates.--Aspro (talk) 20:10, 6 March 2017 (UTC) Interestingly, this is about the only Google hit for the phrase "arcanus hortus". --jpgordon���� ���� 20:22, 6 March 2017 (UTC) Des Res? "something" Residence? †dismas†|(talk) 21:36, 6 March 2017 (UTC) Desirable residence - UK expression for a posh pad. Wymspen (talk) 21:52, 6 March 2017 (UTC) Thanks. That was my leading theory. †dismas†|(talk) 21:54, 6 March 2017 (UTC)Looks to me like Arabic copied out by someone ignorant of Arabic. (Reminds me of hanzismatter!) —Tamfang (talk) 10:20, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
    It's South Brent in Devon-pretty much opposite the Post Office and it's just a standard residential house-that's all that's visible from the road-there's no signs or anything similar...I did wonder if it's some sort of gardening business given a.the Latin inscription and b.it's not that far from Totnes,where every other garden grows something to cure some bit of your anatomy/soul/realign your balance with Mother Earth... I used this translator[url=http://mymemory.translated.net/en/Latin/English/arcanus-hortus] which gave me the exact Latin wording. Lemon martini (talk) 00:13, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
    The Latin might be intended to mean "secret garden", but as Tamfang said, the rest is surely pseudo-Arabic (hmm, that article is not quite relevant, but close enough). Adam Bishop (talk) 11:29, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
    Posting at the languages ref desk might get a better response? --Dweller (talk) Become old fashioned! 13:33, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
    The "Arabic" appearing to include two 'alifs with dots above, I suddenly wondered if this might be disguised English. I can see the word on the left (which would be the second word if it were Arabic) as "Will", so I suspect it's a name. Unolbi? --ColinFine (talk) 18:16, 7 March 2017 (UTC)Think realistically, the ball's back in the OP's court now, to deposit a letter in their post box, if he wishes for a resolution to his musings.--Aspro (talk) 23:17, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

That's because I asked it there too :P that's me that is!
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Maybe it's Elvish ... ?
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
        X