This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quite the abrupt turnaround ...

I debated putting this in 'Cursing out Coworkers' but I'm not actually cursing her out ... just rather puzzled.

The secretary in my office job (who's been with Bossman for 15 years) used to talk and talk and talk when he was out of the office. I heard more about her dysfunctional family (not that mine is exactly the Cleaver family ...) than I ever would've wanted to know.

Then ... suddenly ... she went mute.

These days, he can be gone for HOURS and she says not a word, other than the occasional work-related comment.

I promise that I did not ever roll my eyes or make any exasperated gestures when she was venting, and I certainly did NOT ever go to Bossman and make a complaint or a snarky comment or even any reference to it at all. I tried to be cheery and supportive.

I assure you that I'm not complaining but as I said, I'm a bit puzzled about the 180-degree turn. Anybody got any theories?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Somebody made a comment about it to her. Or maybe something happened that she KNOWS she should not talk about and she is keeping quiet so it does slip.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

There are only three of us in the office. I didn't say anything, and she didn't talk nonstop when Bossman was around, so it's unlikely he did, so ... I'd bet on the second one.

Have to admit it's restful, although there are times the deathly silence is unnerving and I wish we could at least have some low music.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Or finally something happened that beyond regular conversation.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Lent? I know people who have given up gossip, or complaining, or worrying out loud, for Lent.

Comment

I wonder if the dysfunction in her family has reached the point that she no longer wants to talk about it.

Comment

Working...
            X