This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online work?

I know this has been addressed before, but after going back about 15 pages, I still can't find it, which also means the answers may no longer apply, so:

Does anyone on the board have recent experience with any legit sites for working online? I'm trying to find ways to bring in extra money as I don't know whether my union is going to be able to find me another place in the company, and even if they do my income is likely to go down a bit anyway.

I know I could Google this but I'm concerned that all I'll get is a ton of scam sites. If there is any company or site that anyone knows is legit, please enlighten me?

Thank you so much!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

here are a few I know for work at home :
    Apple
    Skyes its (appline access powered by sykes or something of the like) google sykes work at home or something like that
    sitel has a work at home option
    Teleapaformace does a work at home option not sure if its on that website
    TeleNetwork

Im not sure if there are others

Comment

It would be like working in a call center but your at home

Comment

amazon will be hiring thousands of people to work from home as customer service associates within a year
        http://wtkr.com/2017/04/08/amazon-hi...-service-jobs/

Comment

You can try to create a profile on UPWORK as most of the job that is being offered on the said portal are home based career. You will be paid per hour.

Comment

I found this article a while back.
            https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/jobs...nscriptionist/

Good luck!
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I've got a list of possible transcription job sites -- will update you when I've actually tried applying to them.

One that didn't impress me much is called "Transcribe Me" -- it gives you a one question-and-answer test and three transcription tests. The third one is difficult to the point of impossible ... I got in the 90 percentiles on the first two, and the high 80s in the third -- and the high 80s wasn't good enough. AND I couldn't figure out WTF I was doing wrong.

The other thing -- which occurred to me later -- is that on Transcribe Me you get only a segment of whatever document is being transcribed. I've never heard of that before; why would an employer send a paragraph or two to one transcriber, another couple of paragraphs to a different transcriber, and so on?

Scribendi.com looks for freelance editors. They were referred to me by somebody at an employment centre, so I have no doubts they are legit, if you're looking for that kind of work.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                The other thing -- which occurred to me later -- is that on Transcribe Me you get only a segment of whatever document is being transcribed. I've never heard of that before; why would an employer send a paragraph or two to one transcriber, another couple of paragraphs to a different transcriber, and so on?
                I'm thinking security. Unlike a transcriptionist they hire in-person, they're dealing with people whose background they don't know, so this keeps any one transcriptionist from having access to the whole document.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  I'm thinking security. Unlike a transcriptionist they hire in-person, they're dealing with people whose background they don't know, so this keeps any one transcriptionist from having access to the whole document.
                  That's a possibility, depending on what they're dealing with. It just seems to me it would make things much more complicated: you give chunks of the audio to A, B, C, D, E, and F. Then you have a situation where A, D and E return theirs in due time. B is late. C is late AND has tons of errors. F never returns theirs at all.

Or maybe I'm just being pessimistic.
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I've heard some good things about cambly. It's basically a site where you're paid to talk to foreign people. However, I have not used it myself, just signed up today.
                    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                      I've heard some good things about cambly. It's basically a site where you're paid to talk to foreign people. However, I have not used it myself, just signed up today.
                      That sounds fascinating!
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

All you're really doing to my knowledge is talking to people and helping them practice English but unlike a lot of other sites you aren't locked down to certain hours.

Good if you keep odd hours. I've heard a lot of the people using websites like this are Chinese, and there's a huge time difference there.
                        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Well china is 12 hours in front of the east cost I get home from my job at about 2 pm there time hummmm lol could be a side job for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X