Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, we are in the same country ... I think ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, we are in the same country ... I think ...

Brother (in Saskatoon) advises they have snow on the ground ... "looks more like Christmas morning than Easter ..."

Meanwhile, here in southern Ontario, we are approaching 80F (27C) ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Here at the easternmost city of Canada we're at 10C! There's odd weather all across the country.

Comment

its like 90 here im in the states have no clue how to covert it I live in florida however its not humid and is rather enjoyable if in the shade.

Comment

raw1989, a simple way to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit is "double then add 30", so taking your reading and going backwards is 90-30=60, divided by 2 = 30 (roughly).

This week's been wonky up where I live. Monday through to Wednesday were +10C (50F) and sunny, then it snowed a good 4-6 inches (10cm) of snow all through Thursday to Saturday, then sunny again today. The snow is almost gone.
        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Yeah our Easter Sunday felt more like a warm winter day than spring. Had to be all the snow on the ground that fell for the two days prior.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
            raw1989, a simple way to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit is "double then add 30", so taking your reading and going backwards is 90-30=60, divided by 2 = 30 (roughly).
            You can get the actual numbers with just a little more difficult math--multiply by 9, divide by 5, then add 32. Not quite as easy as EPG's shortcut, but still doable.

Or you can use the XKCD scale-- https://xkcd.com/526/

"30C - beach weather
            25C - warm room
            . . . .
            10C - jacket weather
            . . . .
            -40C - spit goes 'clink'"

Or remember that 37C is body temp (98.6F), and that -40 is the same in both scales. And on and on.

Heh, a bit of a sidetrack, but I really wanted to post the "spit goes 'clink'" bit...
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
              ... "-40C - spit goes 'clink'"...
              Not just spit. My cousin from Fairbanks told of the dreaded peesicle... (CDF -50F camping merit badge)
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

XKCD got one of their references wrong. Their "real world" example of what 3 L is like? A two-litre bottle.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  XKCD got one of their references wrong. Their "real world" example of what 3 L is like? A two-litre bottle.
                  Imperial liters, man.

Comment

I've heard of "metric pounds" (500 grams), but not "imperial litres".

As for the old chestnut, which weighs more - a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      ... but not "imperial litres"...
                      Imperial Gallon = 1.2 US gallon, because the empire was expanding.
                      Imperial Litre = 0.666 EU litre, because the Empire's gone to ...

A pound of feathers weighs more.
                      1 pound feathers: 16*28.35 = 453.6g
                      1 pound gold: 12*31.1 = 373.2g
                      Last edited by dalesys; 04-21-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        As for the old chestnut, which weighs more - a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH0hikcwjIA

Couldn't resist.
                        I AM the evil bastard!
                        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          A pound of feathers weighs more.
                          1 pound feathers: 16*28.35 = 453.6g
                          1 pound gold: 12*31.1 = 373.2g
                          Most people don't get that one - hinges on the fact that precious metals are weighed in Troy units, while other stuff is weighed in Avoirdupois units. A Troy ounce is more than an Avoirdupois ounce, but there are fewer in a pound, so a Troy pound is less than an Avoirdupois pound.

I once saw this converted to Metric by someone who didn't understand the reasoning - it asked which weighed more, a kilogram of gold or a kilogram of feathers. There is only one standard for kilogram.

Comment

Working...
                          X