X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there something you like to do...

but aren't any good at?

For me, it's chess. I don't know why. I have a game on my smartphone that's pretty challenging. I've never really been any good at chess, but sometimes I like to play. I guess it's the challenge of the game.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

This would be quite a list. Let's start with crocheting and knitting, and even sewing (although perhaps less so). I get totally lost on crocheting/knitting patterns, give up, and then really get lost because I can't remember where the *bleep* I was in the directions.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Crafting! I so want to be crafty, artsy. I'm just not

Comment

For me it's knitting. I crochet fairly well, well enough to get more commissioned items than I really care to do. But I truly love the look of knitted items so much more. I can only do 1 type of stitch and a decrease but cannot for the life of me figure out the other stitch and increases. I want to learn, but it's just too danged complicated! Ugghhh!

Comment

Carpentry. I enjoy making and building things, but I'm not very good with wood. Mostly, the stuff I turn out is serviceable, but it ain't pretty. I think my inclination to over-engineer fastenings and joins also works against me. Glue? Nah. Glue plus screws must be ever so much more secure, right? Right?
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I loved dance in college but I stink at it.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Drawing. I have some talent but I kinda topped out in grade school.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                but aren't any good at?

For me, it's chess. I don't know why. I have a game on my smartphone that's pretty challenging. I've never really been any good at chess, but sometimes I like to play. I guess it's the challenge of the game.
                I am truly atrocious at chess. My brother is eight years younger than I am and even when I was in my early teens, he used to trounce me regularly.

One of my favourite cartoon strips was FoxTrot by Bill Amend. In one strip the parents are playing chess. The first three panels each consist of the wife saying "Checkmate" and the husband responding with "Dang!" "Crud!" and "Man!" (the last one with his hands over his face).

In the final panel the wife is saying "I'm torn between excruciating boredom and perverse fascination" and the husband saying, "C'mon, best of 729 ... whaddya say?"

That was pretty much me and my brother.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
                  For me it's knitting. I crochet fairly well, well enough to get more commissioned items than I really care to do. But I truly love the look of knitted items so much more. I can only do 1 type of stitch and a decrease but cannot for the life of me figure out the other stitch and increases. I want to learn, but it's just too danged complicated! Ugghhh!
                  I feel the same way, except about crocheting! I can crochet, and I find it to be fun, but I'm just awful at it. I can't see where to stick the hook, so I end up increasing on accident. Also, the edges are tight and curl. People have told me various ways to fix my issues, but I fail. I fail so bad. But I can knit. I find it easier because I can see my stitches on the needle, all neat and lined up.

Mostly, though, I just have things that I wish I was better at. I wish I could draw, but I have no patience for it. I just want to be good NOW. I don't like drawing something that looks like crap, but realistically I know I would have to draw lots of crappy things before I got good. So I can't say that I enjoy it.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I used to be enthusiastic about volleyball--we played it several days a week at work over lunch. My skills were, umm, not at a professional level (massive understatement!) but I enjoyed doing it.

A number of years later, car racing was the same way. I wasn't very good, but boy did I love doing it! I have to get that car back into good shape again and get back into it...
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Keeping to the beat when dancing. Or even just while I'm sitting listening to music. My feet just don't stay on the beat. I start ok then just go into my own little world of timing. Luckily my friends mostly just think it's funny and only give me shit if it's worse than normal.

Or learning languages. I was supposed the learn Italian in high school, but hated the teacher and fell asleep a lot. I can count to 10 and know a few other odd numbers. I can say 'my name is Blue Ginger' and that's where it ends. Not much for 2 1/2 years. I would have preferred French but now want to learn Welsh or Gaelic.
                      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                        Or learning languages.
                        Ooh, yea. That's one that I'm terrible with. Took Spanish in elementary school (was required) and just barely remember any of it. Took a couple of years of ASL in college and I'm retaining a little more of that, but still not enough to be even close to conversational. I tried learning Japanese on my own for about a year- that didn't stick at all.
                        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          ... I can't see where to stick the hook, so I end up increasing on accident....
                          Why I have six kids?
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I'd like to succeed at something important.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                              I feel the same way, except about crocheting! I can crochet, and I find it to be fun, but I'm just awful at it. I can't see where to stick the hook, so I end up increasing on accident. Also, the edges are tight and curl. People have told me various ways to fix my issues, but I fail. I fail so bad. But I can knit. I find it easier because I can see my stitches on the needle, all neat and lined up.
                              I was taught by my great aunt way back when I was just a kid how to do the basic single stitch. She bought me the red, green, and white variegated yarn and I made a single stitch chain to put on the Christmas tree. It was only after I was an adult that I picked up my hooks and more yarn and learned more stitches. You tube and Pinterest have been my awesome helpers to learn new stuff.

As far as knitting, I can do that one stitch, all the pretty stitches lined up on a needle. But remembering where I am in a pattern (doesn't it take down and back to make one full stitch?) and such just get me. I learn better with someone to physically show me on the difficult stuff and no one here knits except on a loom.

Comment

Working...
                              X