This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What just happened there??

Brother, SIL and nephew have been visiting here for a few days. Tonight was our last night together (they are leaving on a 6 a.m. flight. I love them, but not enough to get up, drive to the airport, and wave goodbye at that hour ... )

So we go to a restaurant we've never been to before. We put in our orders and whatnot, nothing appears out of the ordinary. I go to the loo.

Shortly after we start eating, a man from a nearby table walks over to brother, pats him on the shoulder, shakes his hand, and says "Thank you, thank you very much!" Brother smiles and says "No problem, you're very welcome."

I have never seen this man before. NO idea who he is or why he's thanking brother.

But wait ... there's more.

About five minutes after he leaves the server comes over and informs us that he has paid for all of our meals.

Now, this isn't the King Edward Hotel, but it ain't McDonald's either. It would've been a considerable chunk 'o' change.

I'm not the only one who has no clue WTF just happened; SIL has the same reaction.

"Do you know him?" she asks brother.

"Nope. Never saw him before."

"So ... what was that all about??"

Brother responds with: "I was just being nice." After which, he clams up completely.

As a former newspaper reporter, I am of course dying of curiosity (as is SIL, no doubt) but brother serenely and firmly refuses to explain.

Oddly, My Hometown is often sneered at as "the armpit of the country" but this is the THIRD time I've been the recipient of this kind of thing (first two times I was eating out alone, and I assure you, unlike in this incident, I had done nothing for the people who picked up my tab).

I'll never hear the full story of this, of course, so I'm at liberty to make up whatever story I please about it. Problem is ... I can't think of a dang thing that could happen in such a short period of time (mere minutes, if not seconds) that went totally unnoticed by the other adult in the group, but which resulted in somebody paying for four not-terribly-inexpensive meals.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

With my brothers I'd figure it was a visit from Dr. Prankenstein.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Well, maybe he's doing a higher-end version of that thing where people pay for the coffee of the people in the car behind them at the drive-thru.

I have heard of one or two occasions of this happening in a restaurant, but it sure never happens to me.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Well, maybe he's doing a higher-end version of that thing where people pay for the coffee of the people in the car behind them at the drive-thru.
        That's what happened to me on the two occasions I was dining alone. But in neither of those cases did the people who paid for my meal speak to me personally.

This guy made a point of coming over to brother to thank brother for ... whatever. And whatever brother had done was apparently what prompted this guy to pay for our food.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

... Your brother isn't a prankster, is he?

(Maybe I'm just paranoid.)

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
            ... Your brother isn't a prankster, is he?

(Maybe I'm just paranoid.)
            No, you're not paranoid, and I won't say he doesn't have a bit of a prankster sense of humour ... but this just isn't in line with it. Also, his pranks were many years ago. These days he'll make a mild joke at somebody's expense, but that's about it.

Example of his checkered past: when he was much MUCH younger, he and Good Friend stuffed a couple of Mom's cigarettes with little "bangers." She lit one while they were in the house ...

In another incident, he and Good Friend hid out in Sis's closet, and after she went to bed, they started scratching on the closet door, and when she got up and went to open the door, they jumped out at her ...

His pranks were not terribly involved in terms of organization ... and they certainly weren't subtle.
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Maybe the guy dropped his wallet or expensive phone and your brother happened to notice and pointed it out to the guy, thus preventing the guy having to replace an expensive gadget/losing a wad of money and having to replace credit cards and ID? It's the first plausible scenario that springs to my mind that could have happened in just a few minutes. Not too sure how that would work out if SIL was still at the table, but maybe she just didn't notice the exchange for whatever reason?
              You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

That sounds feasible, Kittish. It certainly could've been something like that. SIL might've been talking to Nephew and thus missed it.
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                  Not too sure how that would work out if SIL was still at the table, but maybe she just didn't notice the exchange for whatever reason?
                  Could be a similar scenario, but it happened earlier in the day before meeting up and the gentleman who paid for the meal just happened to remember and decided to give a more concrete thank-you.
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                  X