This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billboard chart challenge quiz

OK so here's a little challenge I knocked up for the music buffs amongst you.
    Some chart-topping bands are very famous.Others...aren't so...

How dismal is that when your band succeeds-actually manage to get that covered No.1 spot on the charts and still no-one has a clue who are or what you've actually sung.

So please put these obscure bands out of their misery and see-hopefully without Googling- how many of their No.1 records(they only had one each) you can identify!
    (and how many of them have you ever heard of?)

1.Essex
    2.Heights
    3.Surface
    4.The Rooftop Singers
    5.Nelson
    6.Nine Stories
    7.Paul Wall
    8.Alan O'Day
    9.Nick Gilder
    10.Marilyn Martin
    11.MIMS
    12.Looking Glass
    13.Honeycone
    14.Next
    15.Strawberrry Alarm Clock
    16.Goonrock
    17.Stories
    18.Ready for the World
    19.The Blue Swede
    20.Odia Coates
    21.Roger Troutman
    22.Wild Cherry
    23.The Big Apple Band
    24.Migos
    25.Baauer
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
    OK so here's a little challenge I knocked up for the music buffs amongst you.
    Some chart-topping bands are very famous.Others...aren't so...

How dismal is that when your band succeeds-actually manage to get that covered No.1 spot on the charts and still no-one has a clue who are or what you've actually sung.

So please put these obscure bands out of their misery and see-hopefully without Googling- how many of their No.1 records(they only had one each) you can identify!
    (and how many of them have you ever heard of?)
    Song titles have been whited out for those who are still playing.

I remember this one:
    4.The Rooftop Singers - Walk Right In

Mrs. IA remembered this one.
    9.Nick Gilder - Hot Child in the City

I looked up the rest and only recognized two of them.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Man, am I getting old, I've only heard of three of these bands!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

9.Nick Gilder
        15.Strawberrry Alarm Clock
        19.The Blue Swede
        22.Wild Cherry

ETA:
        Forgot Looking Glass.

And now after some Googleing, I am kicking myself for:
        Alan O'Day
        Stories
        The Big Apple band.
        Last edited by csquared; 04-30-2017, 12:17 AM.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I only recognized one of the band names (Strawberry Alarm Clock), but when I saw IA's titles I recognized one of the song names. MoonCat, not recognizing them is not a sign of getting old - contemporaries of these (or at least the two I mentioned) would include the band some guy named Paul was in before Wings.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Strawberry Alarm Clock's the only one I recognized as well. And I couldn't tell you what any of their songs were (assuming they weren't a one-track wonder ...)
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              Strawberry Alarm Clock's the only one I recognized as well. And I couldn't tell you what any of their songs were (assuming they weren't a one-track wonder ...)
              Yep, one hit: Incest In Peckermitts...
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                Yep, one hit: Incest In Peckermitts...
                Ah, yes ... I always liked this song

Video quality is beyond crappy but the audio seems to be OK.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

The only reason I know of Strawberry Alarm Clock is because they were in the Russ Meyer/Roger Ebert movie "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls". I have no idea what song they're famous for...
                  "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

I only recognized Wild Cherry and Strawberry Alarm Clock. (I think I may have a concert poster for the latter in my collection...)
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Man, am I getting old, I've only heard of three of these bands!
                      Don't feel too bad, MoonCat. I turn 41 in October, and I haven't heard of any of them.
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                      X