This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I use a dog crate or not???

The bad behavior of my Siberian Husky has me looking at these dog crates to help curb her outbursts. She’s been snapped at my Shih Tzu several times, and my mom a few months ago. I don’t want this to continue and I'm hoping that a cage will help. I'm posting here for feedback as I'm not completely sure that a cage is the right solution and I'd hate to spend the money on a crate and have it not solve anything. Thanks.

I'm a firm believer in crate training, best done at an early age, but you can ease your dog into it even if they are older. It provides a safe space for them when they feel they need to get away but you can also use it as a short term solution to free roaming when they need to be away from others. I never use mine as punishment, but rather make it a place they want to go to.

Edited to add: First things first-you need to figure out what is making her snap at other dogs and her people. It's one thing to snap another dog, but snap and the wrong human and you can lose your dog. I would get the crate, but would also suggest obedience training, too.
    Last edited by Luna Baby; 05-03-2017, 01:39 AM.

Comment

What Luna Baby said.

I'm primarily a cat person, but a former coworker of mine decided to acquire a Dalmation. I don't think she knew a lot about the breed ... like the fact they are very high-energy and get bored easily and, well, there goes a lot of items in your house ...

She learned to crate-train the dog so it regarded the crate as its own special place. I "dog-sat" a couple of times and the dog knew when it was time to go to the crate (he got special treats when he went in) and he would shoot down the basement steps and into his crate as if he'd been propelled by a rocket. He'd be waiting there, tail wagging like crazy, for the lazy human to get down the stairs with his treats.

But yes, the truly important thing is to find out why the dog is snapping at people. That is very bad. A friend of mine has two little purse-sized dogs and one of 'em bit somebody ... animal control got involved and she was told the dog must be muzzled at all times when it's out in public. And, of course, another biting incident and the dog's life could hang in the balance. So yeah, I would urge some doggie "analysis" but also some obedience training.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Let me rephrase what has been said.

The crate is not to be used for punishment.

From what you have said, a crate is not the solution to your problem. It may help when you are not at home.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I guess I would have to agree with you that obedience training will be the key. I just hope that I will be able to correct her behavior since she's not that young anymore.

Comment

Quoth lexamckenzie View Post
            I just hope that I will be able to correct her behavior since she's not that young anymore.
            It shouldn't be a problem so long as you're consistent and clear in your instructions. Dogs only lose the ability to be trained when they go senile (which happened to my mum's dog before he eventually just lay down and gave up; RIP Troy )
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

The bad behavior of my Siberian Husky has me looking at these dog crates to help curb her outbursts. She’s been snapped at my Shih Tzu several times, and my mom a few months ago. I don’t want this to continue and I'm hoping that a cage will help. I'm posting here for feedback as I'm not completely sure that a cage is the right solution and I'd hate to spend the money on a crate and have it not solve anything. Thanks.
              Most dogs I've known liked crates. Apparently, it's a den.

I'd really recommend getting her to the vet, especially if this is a sudden behavioral change. Needs to get sorted out ASAP before she hurts your other dog, or worse, tags a human badly enough that Animal Control will step in (which could lead to her being put down).
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

she's not that young anymore.
                This right here might be an insight to the issue. Older dogs can be just like us older folks and don't like the rough and tumble world around us sometimes.

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
                  This right here might be an insight to the issue. Older dogs can be just like us older folks and don't like the rough and tumble world around us sometimes.
                  Possibly feeling threatened by the younger dogs and trying to maintain the top dog position.
                  Save the Ales!

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                    It shouldn't be a problem so long as you're consistent and clear in your instructions. Dogs only lose the ability to be trained when they go senile (which happened to my mum's dog before he eventually just lay down and gave up; RIP Troy )
                    I feel sorry to hear that, I guarantee you that I'll do my best to correct her behavior.

Quoth Seanette View Post
                    Most dogs I've known liked crates. Apparently, it's a den.

I'd really recommend getting her to the vet, especially if this is a sudden behavioral change. Needs to get sorted out ASAP before she hurts your other dog, or worse, tags a human badly enough that Animal Control will step in (which could lead to her being put down).
                    I am also thinking about hiring a dog trainer to accommodate me with the issue as I dont' want the same scenario to happen again.

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
                    I would have to agree with you, it really is hard to train an old dog compared to those younger one.

Quoth csquared View Post
                    Possibly feeling threatened by the younger dogs and trying to maintain the top dog position.
                    But those younger dogs are her pups. Do you think I should segregate them away from her?

Comment

Pack order is very important. This could be something as simple as you are feeding the wrong dog first.

Get her a checkup to make sure it is not a health issue, and talk to a dog trainer.
                      Save the Ales!

Comment

Working...
                      X