Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else get completely random, judgemental statements from strangers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else get completely random, judgemental statements from strangers?

Or is it just me? These are situations in which you have never seen nor spoken to the other person. All you did to instigate this was to simply walk past the person or be within the vicinity of him/her. I was just thinking about all my years in the service industry and in fact really my whole life and I seem to attract this bizarre behavior. It's unnerving. Here are some examples:

--Working at the burger place, sweeping the floor and minding my own business, not paying attention to anything but what I was doing. I probably didn't look happy because the management was rude. I happened to pass a table with an older couple when suddenly the woman piped up "You should be glad to have a job in this economy!" I wish I'd said "You should be minding your own business." I had not even been the person to take their order. I hadn't interacted with them in any way whatsoever. I had never seen them before.

--I was at the retail job walking from the front to some other location and just happened to pass a man I hadn't interacted with at all. He came out of left field and ordered me to smile, saying "It can't be that bad." I don't remember how I answered him, but I know he didn't like it. How did he know how bad it was? I didn't know him from Adam!

--I was standing outside my doctor's clinic for some reason and it was in the high 40s or maybe low 50s and drizzly that day. I had on crop pants and flip flops and a light sweatshirt. I didn't care if my feet got wet because flip flops will dry and so does human skin. Some old woman looked me up and down and said "It's raining, you know." I guess she thought my attire was inappropriate. Again, I had never seen her before in my life and we had not even interacted. I simply happened to be standing 3 feet from her.

I don't know if it's me or if it's the state I live in. Maybe it's the latter. All of these examples are from WI. So many people judging without the facts. (I don't mind judgement if you do have the facts and we agree to the same standard.) My grandmother was like this. We all see things and come to conclusions about them, but I don't know why they need to come out the mouth. Bunch of control freaks if you ask me.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Some old woman looked me up and down and said "It's raining, you know."
    "You'd better cover up, then, lady -- we can't have you melting, now can we?"
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

^ 😂😂 I do feel like it's a state full of old witches.

Comment

Very rarely did people make comments like that at my old work. I mean once someone randomly told me to smile, and sometimes people thought I was nervous (when I wasn't) and tried to comfort me. Honestly, the people who I felt were "picked on" were my very skinny CWs. One time a customer came up to one of them and started telling her she needed to eat more, and I don't think it was an isolated incident.

Though, the other day I was taking a very short walk, and not once but twice people made weird sounds at me. One was a scruffy looking guy riding a bike, and he made an odd sudden noise. Like maybe he was trying to startle me? And while I was waiting to cross at a light, some high school age guys made barking sounds out their car window. I've taken many walks in this area and never had this happen, it was super weird. Just as context, I was wearing jeans and a coat.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

It happens in cycles, eras when minding one's own business is in fashion, and periods when one must be sensitive to every other person around them - even when they misinterpret the other person's feelings. Please grin and bear it, they mean well.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            "You'd better cover up, then, lady -- we can't have you melting, now can we?"
            I wonder if she'd have gotten the reference ...

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
            It happens in cycles, eras when minding one's own business is in fashion, and periods when one must be sensitive to every other person around them - even when they misinterpret the other person's feelings. Please grin and bear it, they mean well.
            I think you're right about the cycles. My high school English teacher once commented that society in general tends to swing from hardcore right to hardcore left and back again. For some reason we never seem to be able to stop in the damn middle.

Whether I would "grin and bear it" depends on a lot of factors. The most recent such incident (assuming it even belongs in this category) was some old guy walking past my table at the diner, where I was eating and reading a novel, and saying "Read your Bible."

Me:

By the time it even registered, he was several feet past my table and it really wasn't worth it to run after him and get snotty about it.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              The most recent such incident (assuming it even belongs in this category) was some old guy walking past my table at the diner, where I was eating and reading a novel, and saying "Read your Bible."
              Definitely fits in this category. I mean, it's not even normal behavior on any playing field. Weird.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                Definitely fits in this category. I mean, it's not even normal behavior on any playing field. Weird.
                Yeah, especially since I don't live in an area that could be considered even remotely a "Bible belt" sort of place.

Was kinda sorry it wasn't a Harry Potter book, so if nothing else I could've held it up with the cover visible and waved it at him.
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Was kinda sorry it wasn't a Harry Potter book, so if nothing else I could've held it up with the cover visible and waved it at him.
                  Even better would have been something like The Satanic Verses.
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                    Even better would have been something like The Satanic Verses.
                    Ooooh yeah!!

Or the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

Hey, if I'm gonna offend somebody whom I don't even know ... might as well make a good effort at it!
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Ooooh yeah!!

Or the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

Hey, if I'm gonna offend somebody whom I don't even know ... might as well make a good effort at it!
                      Yeah, but if you do that, they'll go away from the interaction feeling vindicated. "I was right, that person is a heathen!" Better yet, quote a Bible verse to them, maybe something about loving your neighbor. I know the person was quickly walking away, but striking up a conversation would be my choice in this situation. Mostly because it's clear they did not want to talk, just make a comment and run away.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        Yeah, but if you do that, they'll go away from the interaction feeling vindicated. "I was right, that person is a heathen!" Better yet, quote a Bible verse to them, maybe something about loving your neighbor. I know the person was quickly walking away, but striking up a conversation would be my choice in this situation. Mostly because it's clear they did not want to talk, just make a comment and run away.
                        You've got some very good points there, notalwaysright. A Biblical quote would probably be the best option, since many of these people seem to automatically assume if you're not reading the Bible, you never have, and you know nothing about it.

Not to mention it would've been far less likely to offend the other patrons than screaming four-letter words after the guy.
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

When I was young, back in the early and mid 80s, I used to get comments about "Are you a boy or a girl? Haw haw haw haw!" Sometimes I was brave enough to reply, "Why don't you suck my d**k and find out?" But usually not...

A GF of mine had a bunch of punk rock stuff written on her jacket, and she used to get harassed on the street as well. We were walking near her house one day in Chicago, and random guys yelled out of their car windows about us being FREAKS!!!

Sometimes all you can do is flip them off.
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

No, never. Not even when I talk to myself.

...Maybe because I talk to myself...

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                              No, never. Not even when I talk to myself.

...Maybe because I talk to myself...
                              It's fun to talk with the voices in your head. You're always guaranteed semi-intelligent* conversation.

* "Semi-intelligent" because there's always THAT voice. The one that likes to say "Hold mah beer."
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X