This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidental sourdough?

I'll know in a few hours if I made accidental sourdough bread.

Making garlic bread for Boyfriend's Sunday gaming group, to go with other food. Started a sponge a few days ago with bread flour, yeast, and whey I had left over from making yogurt. Checked on it about a day in, and got that lovely sourdough smell when I lifted the cover on the bowl. Tonight I worked in a few more cups of flour and let that rise, and it smells just like good sourdough ought to. Got the loaves shaped and on their final rise now.

Thinking about it, I can see exactly how it might happen. The beasties that turn milk into yogurt are the same ones that give sourdough bread that lovely tang, and the whey still had lots of live ones in it. And they had three days to do their thing in my bread sponge alongside the yeast.

Update: the bread is baked and cooled. The crumb is fairly tight, moist and chewy while the crust is crunchy. The flavor is almost there. I think if I mix up my entire batch of dough instead of just a sponge and let it ferment in the fridge for an extra day or two it'll turn out great. I also forgot to add salt to this batch, and it's amazing what a difference one teaspoon of salt can make. That's kind of fixable, though, since I'll be adding garlic butter to the bread. Just add a touch of salt to the butter.

The upshot is- as long as I have reasonably fresh whey on hand, I think I won't need to keep a sourdough starter going. Hooray! 'Cause sourdough cinnamon rolls are the bomb.
    Last edited by Kittish; 05-21-2017, 10:04 AM. Reason: update
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Quoth Kittish View Post
    ... I also forgot to add salt to this batch, and it's amazing what a difference one teaspoon of salt can make...
    My mother would do that occasionally... and be greeted by a circle of kiddy faces going "Eew!" over their slices of freshbaked bread with butter and honey...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
      The upshot is- as long as I have reasonably fresh whey on hand, I think I won't need to keep a sourdough starter going.
      Still a good idea - sourdough needs to have lactobacilli (what you got from the whey, and which give it the right taste) and yeast (for rising) that work well together. Lactobacilli make it acidic, and most yeast don't like acid. When you keep a starter, the ones that "play nice" survive, while those that don't die off, so you get the right ones of both.

Quoth Kittish View Post
      Hooray! 'Cause sourdough cinnamon rolls are the bomb.
      Hope you don't take them with you on a plane - TSA will confiscate them and send you on a one-way trip to Guantanamo Bay.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
      X