This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads up: New Microsoft scam

Got a robo call claiming to have an urgent message. My Microsoft Windows license has expired. Please call XXX-XXX-XXXX

There is no expiration on a Windows license.

Those of you who have parents, grandparents, etc. that may be prone to these scams, please warn them.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

"Great. I was planning to switch to another program anyway."

*click*

Oh wait, it was a robo-call. Oh well.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

When I saw the subject of this thread I thought, "Oh, is Windows 11 coming out?"
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        When I saw the subject of this thread I thought, "Oh, is Windows 11 coming out?"
        Oh, good, it wasn't just me.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Nope just 10 S... A limited version that wont let you do anything other than use Edge, Bing , Cortana, and the Micro$oft store. Want to use Chrome? That will be an extra $50 for an upgrade to Pro. Oh, and if you are thinking that you want to get one of the new Surface, it will come with 10 S. Spend two thousand dollars and you will need to spend an extra $50 just to do what a $200 laptop can do.

Comment

My BIL gets and messes with those calls all the time
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
              Nope just 10 S... A limited version that wont let you do anything other than use Edge, Bing , Cortana, and the Micro$oft store. Want to use Chrome? That will be an extra $50 for an upgrade to Pro. Oh, and if you are thinking that you want to get one of the new Surface, it will come with 10 S. Spend two thousand dollars and you will need to spend an extra $50 just to do what a $200 laptop can do.

No thanks - just rolled the Toshiba back to Windows 7 last weekend after trying to uninstall that pesky McAfee Family Protection (one of the perks of having Looney Toons Internet.)

After not only one chat session (by smartphone app that got interruped) and at least 30 minutes on the phone with a tech, who couldn't get me an uninstall code for the program (kept asking for one every which way we tried to uninstall the program and the reason I wanted it off is because it would not let me log in with either user name that is on the internet account. And unless it's turned on, you CANNOT access the Internet.)

So I broke out the DVD's for Windows 7 (thank Dog I made those right after I took that laptop out of the box after I brought it home from Staples several years ago now) and spent half the night reverting the HDD to factory settings.

Which in hindsight was probably a good idea . . . I hate the fact that I cannot use the Windows DVD Maker program on Windows 10 (it was only available for 7 IIRC.)

Besides, when I did upgrade last year to 10 I had issues galore with it, so I think I'll just stick with 7. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
                You'll never make it in business with unprofitable thinking like that, DGoddessChardonnay!
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                X