This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog training help

About one and a half years ago, we adopted an 8 month old puppy (golden retriever mixed with who knows what, is our guess). She had been abused, physically (we think, by her reactions to sudden movement) and was also left chained outside, no matter the weather.

She has always been a mild dog, and after a year with us, she has learned to walk on a leash, no longer flinches and cries when someone moves suddenly, has gained a ton of confidence and is pretty much a normal dog who has moved past her rough puppy-hood. She's bright and now knows sit, roll over, spin, lay down, shake, high five and "dead dog"

She has recently started getting in the trash. This is completely new behavior. We bought a baby lock for it, but it hasn't stopped her from dumping it over. At first it was only when we were out, but she woke me up at 4 in the morning knocking over the trash the other morning.

So this weekend we were gone for a couple of hours, and put the trash can in the garage. when we got home, she had apparently pulled dirty dishes off of the counter/in the sink and they were spread all over the kitchen floor. How she didn't break a plate is beyond me.

As soon as she sees us walk in, she runs and hides, even before we see the mess instead of coming to greet us like she normally would.

We have a kennel, and we do use it, I just don't like to keep her in there all day if I can help it.

Any advice?
    the furry monster here

OhGodSoCute!

Back on topic, have you tried some kind of puzzle toys? Labs/retrievers are pretty smart, so now that she's over being scared all the time and trusts you enough to relax she may be getting bored. My aunt's lab ripped the knobs off of the tumble dryer, ripped out the rubber seal around its door, and nearly set the the house on fire by accidentally turning on the electric hob when she got bored. Retrievers have also been known to obsess; my own retriever (RIP Goldie ) was obsessed with the vegetable patch, to the point we buried him there when he died. Honestly, we had to build Fort Knox to keep him off the ruddy thing...!
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I have been a cat person all my adult life, but relatives and friends and acquaintances have had dogs, so ...

One former coworker had a Dalmatian. She (FCW) learned quickly that, left alone, Spot (no, FCW didn't name him; he came with the name ...) would trash the house. It was recommended to her that she get a crate but NOT use it as punishment ... instead, train the dog to see it as his special place. It worked beautifully. I dog-sat for her once (that's a story in itself) and when I was ready to go home, the dog would rush downstairs and be standing there, in his cage, wagging his tail madly, when the slow human finally made it down the stairs with his "special" treats.

Depending how the dog regards the kennel, it doesn't have to be a cruelty to leave them in it for several hours.

But greek_jester's suggestion sounds like a better idea. Dogs can certainly get bored, and puzzle toys might be just what the veterinarian ordered.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I'm not sure how she would do with puzzle toys...we have this football that is hollow in the middle for treats. When she couldn't get the treats out in 3.5 seconds, she lost interest. And this is a food motivated dog.

we have the crate, and she is crate trained, she will wait in the crate some mornings when I'm leaving for work. I just hate using the crate all day when everyone is at school or work. It's a big crate, she can stand up and move a little bit, but it just seems like a long time to be caged

Comment

Working...
        X