This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When not being an SC backfires ...

So the toilet is malfunctioning ... the chain leading to the rubber cap is dangling loose, and the loop it hooks into has broken, so it can't just be re-hooked. The whole whatzit needs to be replaced.

I call up the plumber and explain the situation, assuring him, more than once, that it's NOT an emergency, just an annoyance.

The upshot, after a brief conversation, was that he said he would get somebody over here first thing tomorrow morning.

Me: "Um, about what time is that?"

Him: "Between 8 and 9 a.m."

I'm not an early riser at the best of times, and was planning to go out and really work in the garden tonight and then sleep in tomorrow.

Oh well. I can just throw on some clothes at 7:50 and pretend I've been up for hours.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    ...the chain leading to the rubber cap is dangling loose....
    ...and that,son,is how you came into the world....
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post

I'm sitting here at 8:35 ... plumber hasn't shown up yet. I have the feeling communications got mangled and I will have to call again ... *sigh*

Oh well, I did say it wasn't an emergency.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Mom says you were too cheap and insisted on buying your penny-balloons at the swap meet.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          Mom says you were too cheap and insisted on buying your penny-balloons at the swap meet.

Plumber did show up. Was here about 5 minutes. Bill was $90. Oh well ... probably still cheaper than the bill if I'd tried fixing it myself.
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
            probably still cheaper than the bill if I'd tried fixing it myself.
            Very likely. When there was a problem with our shower, I found a lot of info on repairing it on YouTube. When I arrived at a snag, there was another video on that problem: easily solved with a specialty tool. How much for this tool (which I would likely use once or twice in my lifetime)? Enough to make calling in a pro cost-effective.
            Side note: the pro told a tale of one who tried DIY for the same situation and ended up paying at least twice what I paid. Lesson learned.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Yup. Plumbers, electricians, accountants , et al, get paid good money for a reason.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You're not paying for the time at your place, you paying for the knowledge to get fixed as quick as possible.
                ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Yup. Plumbers, electricians, accountants , et al, get paid good money for a reason.
                  Yep, exactly.

Quoth rvdammit View Post
                  You're not paying for the time at your place, you paying for the knowledge to get fixed as quick as possible.
                  And the ability to actually do the fix, LOL. I knew what the problem was: the chain had come loose from the rubber flap and the loop was broken, so it couldn't be just reattached. It needed a whole new flap. Not a big deal ... unless you're a total newbie at home repairs, and you're working on somebody else's house.
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Reminds me of an old joke...

"$100 just to hit the TV? That's outrageous! I want an itemized bill!!"

Bill:
                    Hitting the TV: $1
                    Knowing where to hit the TV so that it works again: $99
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Plumber showed up-fiddled about for about 5 minutes.Charged $90 and left.

And that,son,is how your sister came to be in the world....
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Plumber showed up-fiddled about for about 5 minutes.Charged $90 and left.

And that,son,is how your sister came to be in the world....
                        ...had to demonstrate how the male and female threads mated...
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Yep. You're paying us to know how to take it apart, how to put it back together again, and to have that weird bent $90 wrench to be able to reach it in the first place.
                          The actual work is usually not difficult, but having all the weird specialized knowledge and tools is worth something.

Comment

Quoth taeraresh View Post
                            Yep. You're paying us to know how to take it apart, how to put it back together again, and to have that weird bent $90 wrench to be able to reach it in the first place.
                            The actual work is usually not difficult, but having all the weird specialized knowledge and tools is worth something.
                            I misread that as to have that weird bent $90 wench to be able to reach it....

Comment

I misread that as to have that weird bent $90 wench to be able to reach it....
                              In which case, there's a very different tool required.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X