This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peat moss: a good thing or no?

I'm seeing numerous pallets of peat moss on sale at various stores, and I'm wondering about getting some for the back yard garden and the flower beds here. Has anybody here used peat moss? Does it actually have a benefit?

Just thought I'd check before I do all that work, y'know ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

It depends on what you are growing. Peat Moss is acidic so if your plants need a slightly acidic soil this is a good way of adding that. IT also holds on to nutrients while letting excess water drain. 1 application lasts for several years.

Comment

Thanks, kaherbert. I'm living in my mother's house, and may not be here much longer (long story) so I don't have any long-term plans for the garden areas. I like the idea that it holds moisture, but I'm already putting down cedar mulch to hold in moisture (and keep down the weeds, although the weeds are definitely fighting back ...)

The soil here has been pretty poorly maintained, so I'm looking for something that will add nutrients. I do have a composter, which is being enthusiastically used, but haven't removed most of the compost ... yet.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Brother advises that the soil in this general region is clay, which already holds water in plenty ... so does not recommend peat moss. Apparently sheep poop is better.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          ... Apparently sheep poop is better.
          Or, as my uncle told his city cousins, "Licorice jelly beans."
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
          X