Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it strange that I kinda want to be on a jury?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These stories are interesting. I am 60+ and have never been called for jury duty. Given one or two of the trials I covered as a reporter, I'm just as happy not to have to do so ... although I see you can be called for things other than horrific murders.

A former editor once told me that even if I were called, I would never be selected once my journalism background came to light -- apparently lawyers don't trust reporters (even former reporters). Go figure.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
      Given one or two of the trials I covered as a reporter,
      That would be why.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I feel ... overlooked.

Hey, I'm a former reporter. Would I lie?
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          I feel ... overlooked.

Hey, I'm a former reporter. Would I lie?
          I ain't even touching the second part.

But it's basically a professional matter. The legal system prefers reporters (past and present) to report on events, not participate in them.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            In the US, at least, if the employer does not pay you for a day of JD, the Jury Pool people do -- just not very much.
            My job does pay. I only know because I got a letter notifying me that I would be "on call" for jury duty for a month several years ago. Never heard anything else on it.

My wife got called in a few years ago, and had to go to the courthouse. She didn't get picked though.

My grandmother got picked for a case awhile back involving someone shooting his neighbor's pet duck. The duck had to be referred to by name throughout the case ("Quacker"), and my grandma told me that even the judge had trouble keeping a straight face.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Yup, resident of Connecticut for 25 years, in the pool 7 times, selected 3 times for standard, and did several 'exit interviews' for pools I didn't get selected for. Got selected and got refused specifically because I was a paralegal, got selected and refused because I wasn't afraid of imposing the death sentence, no idea why I got selected for the third one, spouse abuse and spouse rape charge - the defense didn't use a burn on me though I was upfront about having been an abuse victim ... they burned the man after me though and he seemed like he was more positive to the defense than I would have been [oh well, the guy got slammer time so I am good with that =) ] Had to hardship out of one pool - I was doing chemo, not that I recommend that as a way to get out of jury duty, mind you [though it was an interesting way to drop 25 pounds in a month ...]

Sometimes it is hard to figure out why you get selected or burned ... oddly enough many of the lawyers were the same ones I kept running in to, and actually were on friendly terms with - a few of them volunteered at the same women's shelters I did.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
              X