This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a book...

Hey Guys, I'm hoping with all the fantasy buffs here someone will know the book I'm talking about.

I read this one some time in primary school, which I left at the end of '99 so a while back.

Fantasy setting, opens with a kid/teenager finding an old sword in his granddad's house, which after touching it transports him to another world, where he has to keep it wrapped in a magic cloak(?) lest it, and he, be tracked by the big bad of the book. There's a journey and help along he way involved too.

I can't remember much more than that, other than the end of the book has the protagonist end up right back where and when he started holding onto an old sword.

For some reason this has been stuck in my head for the last week, and I'd love to be able to track it down again.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Now I'm curious about this; it sounds interesting. Do you remember if the original story (when the kid finds the sword and where he returns at the end) is set in our world? Or is the whole book set in two "other" worlds?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

So far, ever freakin' search I've done has come up with (among many other books) "The Elfstones from Shannara" by Terry Brooks. Is that any help?
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Yeah the first location is "our" world, second is somewhere else

It's not Shannara, have read those recently

Comment

Got no ideas about a specific title, but I found this-
          http://bestfantasybooks.com/alternat...d-fantasy.html. There's a list of titles that fall into the genre, you might find the one you're looking for there.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Thank you, I'll have a look at that page today on my break

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
              Got no ideas about a specific title, but I found this-
              http://bestfantasybooks.com/alternat...d-fantasy.html. There's a list of titles that fall into the genre, you might find the one you're looking for there.
              I got a virus notice from Norton when I visited that web site.

Although it didn't happen a second time.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
              X