This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare animals in your yard?

So now I've moved back to suburbia and have a yard. My neighbor hood is at the edge of town so lots of woods and wild cats and dogs roam. I see them sometimes in my yard marking their terrority. Anyway the most rarest thing I've seen is a spider that was metallic green but just yesterday I saw something that looked like a beaver except without the trademark flat tail. Maybe a muskrat pr a possibly a groundhog? Not sure. But it was grass chewing without a care. I never saw one of those. One winter i saw a fox as big as a medium dog omg it was so pretty. Any way which animals have you all rarely seen in your yards?
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

I once had a deer in my backyard. It wandered around a bit, jumped the fence into the neighbor's yard and disappeared. Animal contyrol said they had been getting reports of it all day but hadn't manged to catch up to it.

I see rabbits all the time.

Saw a fox walking up the street next to another neighbor's cat. When they reached the front of the neighbor's house they parted ways. Must have been some date.

Saw a hawk high up in one of the trees.

And heard a mountain lion once. They wander down the park land next to the river and sometimes come up the bike paths.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

We see bunnies a lot and occasionally deer. Also raccoons and skunks sometimes.
      Note to self: Hot glass looks like Cold glass.

Comment

I get horned toads here occasionally. And yeah, deer and various other animals. Found some footprints from a big kitty a while back, probably a cougar.

Comment

I forgot about the dead opossum on my deck. It was gone when I went out later to clean it up.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

We sometimes get moose walking through the city. One even decided to go for a swim in the harbour.

Comment

Coyotes, jack rabbits, cottontail rabbits, road runners, several sorts of lizards ranging in size from about 3 inches long to a couple of feet, snakes, tarantulas, scorpions, hawks, ravens, burrowing owls, doves, kangaroo rats (one cheeky little bugger that lives 'round the side of the house), ground squirrels (aka chipmunks), black widow spiders, hummingbirds...

Fences around here are to keep pets IN, 'cause there's pretty much no keeping most of the wildlife OUT.
              You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Coming home from dinner one evening I saw a big jack rabbit at the corner of the house just sitting there looking at us. The only thing that popped in my head was "yeah, it could take me".
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                  just yesterday I saw something that looked like a beaver except without the trademark flat tail.

...must resist urge..to make beaver comments. ..

On holiday in Sri Lanka,there was a chipmunk sit ting out on the garden seat on the verandah
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Living in small-town Minnesota, I get to see quite a bit of wildlife, but not usually in my yard. At my old house (same town), we had white squirrels. Well, at least one. I never saw more than one at a time, but sightings continued for several years.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

1) Once I saw a gorgeous green sphinx moth chillin' on a shop's doorway. Probably came down from the vineyards outside town, as that species feeds on grapevines.

2) I have cicada-killer wasps burrowing in my front lawn -- they're the biggest wasp you're likely to see in the US, but also one of the least aggressive; whatsthatbug.com reported that they couldn't find anyone who'd actually been stung by one, but published descriptions described it as "like a thumbtack". Last year there were three burrows, so I was a little worried about a population explosion this year, but...

3) This year there were still only three burrows, but I also have five-lined skinks next to my door. (Previously seen across the development.) These are gorgeous, but shy little lizards, whose juveniles and females have shiny blue tails. I'm assuming they ate some of the wasp larvae.

Comment

I live in the foothills of the front range and get to see lots of cool(and not so cool things) in my yard and neighborhood.

Deer almost every night. Ate all my lily buds

A few weeks ago my neighbors chickens wandered into my yard.

About a month ago, there was a small bear in my driveway
                        What do you want for nothin'? R-r-r-r-r-r-rubber biscuit?": Blues Bros.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          ...Saw a fox walking up the street next to another neighbor's cat. When they reached the front of the neighbor's house they parted ways. Must have been some date...
                          I forgot about the dead opossum on my deck. It was gone when I went out later to clean it up.
                          LOL I always tell my roommate to watch out because his orange cat might be mistaken for another fox and dragged back to have foxcats.

I heard possums play dead but every one I've seen just stared directly at me with their mouths hanging open.

Quoth Ghel View Post
                          At my old house (same town), we had white squirrels. Well, at least one. I never saw more than one at a time, but sightings continued for several years.
                          I saw one white squirrel a few years back. I assumed it was an albino squirrel. It definitely was a squirrel.

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                          1) Once I saw a gorgeous green sphinx moth chillin' on a shop's doorway. Probably came down from the vineyards outside town, as that species feeds on grapevines.
                          I once saw a huge moth as big as my handspan omg it was gorgeous. IDK the name of it, I tried to research it, but couldn't find it. It's antennae was as big as my little finger and THICK with fuzz. It was so so gorgeous. And I have a phobia with bugs but omg so pretty.
                          Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                          The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Strangest critter ever seen in my yard has been a Protege....

But seriously, I get the usual deer, squirrels, chipmunks, kittehs (which drive the inside kittehs nuts!), turkeys, and the occasional skunk. Most of those critters come from the nearby woods--I've seen deer napping in my yard in the mornings.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

A pair of blue tits...

...well it was winter and she hadn't got a nice warm sweater on ��
                              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                              X