This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only the days are quiet here

I live near one of the processing plants for Foremost (dairy supplier). Noise at night has been a thing for as long as I can remember, usually Thursday nights. I close the windows and put the fan on high so I can sleep. Other nights I can sometimes keep a window open.

Anyway, it's really loud tonight. I can hear equipment and those trucks that shake the ground and beep when they back up and it's just constant. On top of that I went to the park earlier and down by the river there was some motorcycle convention or something so that constant revving and music interrupted what is normally a peaceful walk for me. I gave up and came home only to run into this. I recognize the noise; it's what woke me up at 3:45 this morning. So I've been hearing it literally all day.

I don't think there's anything I can do. I can't call the popo for noise ordinance at a huge plant. The fan might drown out the noise, but it won't mitigate the rumbling. I really need my sleep; I got 5 hours last night. I need to move but without my second job I now can't afford to. *sigh*

CORRECTION: I don't think it's the plant. I'm used to the hum sounds and can block those out. I forgot there's construction on the main drag in town on the other side. It's not ending any time soon.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 09-01-2017, 04:14 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

You have my sympathies. When I was much, MUCH younger, I used to spend weekends with my maternal grandparents. They lived in a small house, and behind the back yard was an alley, and on the other side of that was the foundry where Grandpa worked. You got the whistles blowing and far more than that you got trains shunting back and forth all night. I was quite young at the time, and I found the racket lulling; it would always put me to sleep. Not sure I'd have the same reaction now.

I also remember once when I was "apartment sitting" for somebody -- they lived in downtown Toronto -- and I woke up at 3 a.m. wondering fuzzily why people were holding a party in the bedroom. That area was definitely a bit rowdy.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

You have my sympathies. 28 years ago I lived right next to a Monsanto chemical plant. It ran 24/7/365 pumps, fans, trucks, bright lights, rumblings of some sort, and the occasional woop woop of some alarm going off.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Can you tolerate ear plugs at night? I have found that they help when I am traveling.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
        X