This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any auto-knowledgeable folks here?

I went out for supper tonight and switched on my windshield wipers. They worked fine ... and then they stopped. I left the restaurant before it got completely dark (although thankfully it had stopped snowing) and this time, when I turned the engine on, the wipers worked.

And then they stopped.

The rear wiper works fine. It's just the front ones that have gone on strike.

I wonder when my mechanic will be back at work ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

That exact thing happened to me. It wound up that a mouse had made a nest on top of the wiper motor. After about 5 to 10 minutes the wipers would stop because the strings in the nest would wrap around the shaft and keep it from moving. My mechanic had to replace the motor. It wasn't all that expensive. The parts were easily accessible. This was a VW Golf.

Maybe you just need a new wiper motor.

Comment

Wow, I would NEVER have guessed at an unwelcome guest! Glad to hear it wasn't expensive. I'll try to call my mechanic tomorrow, and hope that there isn't bad weather when I have to go to The Mothership this week!
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I'd say a loose connection, switch going bad or a fuse going bad. I'd checked the fuse first and then connections. Switches are usually hard to replace. You might also check out www.automotiveforumn.com your car to see if that's a common problem.
        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Thanks, Tanasi. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's a fuse.
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

A fuse wouldn't get better. Once it is popped, it's popped. It could be a cruddy connection at a fuse or elsewhere, or it could be the motor, or something in the switch.

On some newer cars, the computers control the wipers in addition to seemingly everything else. That gets more complicated to troubleshoot...
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Fuse only works till it pops. Weak motor, bad ground, maybe the switch. Or something gumming up the works, the wiper transmission could be worn or damaged.
              AkaiKitsune
              Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

What make and year vehicle is it? Some of them have switches for windshield wipers (and turn signals, and cruise control, and, and...) that tend to go bad.

Also once had the wipers stop working on my parents' car, and it was just the connector going to the motor.

Comment

Working...
                X