This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that was interesting ...

I decide to drop in at a grocery store tonight for some bread and cream cheese for a supper sandwich (came out with half a dozen things and NO bread OR cream cheese but that's pretty much SOP for me ...)

I'm heading out of the ... I guess you'd call it the foyer (?) of the store. There are two sets of exit doors here; they face each other.

There's a young guy scurrying for the set of doors to my left, although I got the impression he'd started for the doors on my right and then changed his mind.

And if that's what happened, I can see why he changed his mind once I get outside.

A police van is parked crosswise in the lane in front of the store, nicely blocking traffic, and two standard-sized cops (i.e. burly) are heading towards the guy with what can best be described as a purposeful stride.

Me:

Not sure what Johnny did, but whatever it was, I don't think it was serious. When I returned my cart to the cart collection area, I saw one cop having a discussion with the young guy, while the other stood off to one side, just keeping an eye on things in general.

And that, folks, is what passes for excitement in My Hometown.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I would love to know the story. And I'm picturing the guy as Eric Forman.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I got the impression he was trying to make a run for it, but gave up that idea in a hurry. Would love to know the story behind it, but I doubt it was enough to call out the news for.

There was a story in the news several years ago of a young guy somewhere out on the Prairies (IIRC) who took an elderly couple hostage ... sort of. He ordered them both out to their truck ... but let the husband go back into the house for his medicine. And they're zooming down the highway and the old guy asks him to slow down, and he does ... and then he starts telling them the sad story of his life, and ends up sobbing all over the steering wheel, and apologizing for what he'd done. He then dropped them off at a liquor store (which was open).

He was caught, of course, and the elderly couple said they would testify in his defence, because they were sure he was just a nice guy who'd gone a short ways down the wrong road and he could turn his life around.

If somebody put that in television as a sitcom, people would say it was too unrealistic.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        If somebody put that in television as a sitcom, people would say it was too unrealistic.
        A lot of things happen in real life that couldn't be put into fiction, because people expect fiction to make sense.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          He was caught, of course, and the elderly couple said they would testify in his defence, because they were sure he was just a nice guy who'd gone a short ways down the wrong road and he could turn his life around.
          Honestly, I'd do the same, no question.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Yeah, he wasn't exactly a major threat. I hope he did get his life turned around.
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
            X