No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIRC, Butcher was writing Peace Talks (the next novel) and realized it was getting too big and too long, and had to do some re-writes to split the story into two distinct books. Hence why we're getting Peace Talks and then Battle Ground almost immediately after.

Per Word of Jim, the series will be at least 20 books long before being capped off by the B.A.T. (Big Apocalyptic Trilogy), which he's said will be called Hell's Bells, Stars and Stones, and Empty Night. So after Battle Ground, we'll have at least three more books before the B.A.T.

IIRC again, after Battle Ground, the next book will be called Mirror Mirror.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Rereading "Ghost Month" by Ed Lin.

Hmmm, apparently there's more than one of them, I see it's also known by "Taipei Night Market #1".

It's August, a/k/a Ghost Month in Taiwan, when residents burn incense and fake money for those in the otherworld, visit shrines, and avoid things like large purchases and bodies of water.

For Jing-nan, who runs a food stall in the night market, it's a time to wonder how on earth his long-distance, long-time fiancee, who was valedictorian during their years in school and was in a prestigious American university, ended up shot dead while working at a betel-nut concession stand, especially since the scantily-clad "betel beauties" are one step -- one very SMALL step -- above prostitutes.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I am about half way through "Fade" by Daniel Humphreys.

It's like a cross between the Dresden Files and The Laundry Files.

Blurb on Amazon:

Paxton Locke is the son of a Witch.

Family drama is bad enough without adding human sacrifice to the mix. Ten years ago, his mother killed his father in a grisly ritual that Paxton interrupted. Now he criss-crosses the countryside in his RV working as a paranormal investigator while Mother languishes in jail. She’ll never forgive him for interfering…or for stealing her spellbook.

It started as a normal job for Paxton. At least as normal as speaking to ghosts ever was. But then the terrified shade of a murdered boy warns him of a dangerous, newly-freed entity, and suddenly he has to talk to Mother again to save the day.
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

• Listening to (well,attempting to. I stick the audiobook on at night and fall asleep halfway through the chapter, so have to keep going back)
          Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• I'm just about finished reading this weird YA fantasy novel titled Sir Tuesday by Garth Nix. It's the fourth in the Keys to the Kingdom series, so I'm having to do a bit of extrapolating to figure out exactly WTF's going on.

Central character is Arthur Penhaligon and he and his friend Leaf (?) are trying to get back to Earth from ?? (I'm not sure where, but definitely not the 'normal' earth ... possibly something like Hogwarts and the Muggle world?)

The background story appears to be (from Wikipedia): "Arthur, a 12-year-old boy, has recently moved to a town and wants to fit into it. After suffering an asthma attack, he is saved by a mysterious metal object, called a Key, given by an even stranger character, Mister Monday, whose servants bring an incurable plague to Arthur's town. Arthur hurries to the House, a mysterious structure that only he can see. Shortly after arriving in the House, Arthur discovers the structure of the house is a complete universe and is informed of his duty to unseat the seven Trustees who run the House, claim their Keys, and rule all of Creation."

The Trustees are known as the Morrow Days, and they are: Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, Drowned Wednesday, Sir Thursday, Lady Friday, Superior Saturday, and Lord Sunday.

If Arthur uses the Keys as he's supposed to, he will become infected with sorcery and will ultimately become a Denizen of the House. He doesn't want to do this because whenever a Denizen appears in the Secondary Realms (which includes Earth) they are fatal to mortal life.

There's also a character way back in the history of the House that's called the Architect; I haven't figured out yet whether this is a sort of god to the Denizens, or a myth, or what.

The books have been criticized for their slow pace, but I found it generally to be a good read. I suspect I'll end up reading the entire series ....
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth It's me View Post
              I am about half way through "Fade" by Daniel Humphreys.

It's like a cross between the Dresden Files and The Laundry Files.

*snip*
              "Fade" sounds interesting, but what the heck are "The Laundry Files"??
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                ... but what the heck are "The Laundry Files"??
                The Dressdown Files?
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post

"Fade" sounds interesting, but what the heck are "The Laundry Files"??
                  Easiest way to explain is to grab the Wikipedia entrry:

The Laundry Files*is a series of novels by*Charles Stross. They mix the genres of*Lovecraftian horror,*spy thriller,*science fiction, and*workplace humour. Their main character for the first five novels is "Bob Howard" (a pseudonym taken for security purposes), a one-time I.T. consultant turned*occult*field agent. Howard is recruited to work for the Q-Division of*SOE, otherwise known as "the Laundry", the British government agency which deals with occult threats. "Magic" is described as being a branch of applied computation (mathematics), therefore computers and equations are just as useful, and perhaps more potent, than classic spellbooks, pentagrams, and sigils for the purpose of influencing ancient powers and opening gates to other dimensions.*

Comment

• Latest books: "The DeathSpeaker Codex" series by Soyna Bateman.

I'm on book 3 of 10. The characters are interesting, the writing is well done, and there is some nice world-building going on.

Grabbed the blurb from Amazon:
                    Driving dead people around Manhattan is all in a day's work for body mover Gideon Black. He lives in his van, talks to his passengers -- even though they don't have much to say -- and occasionally helps the police solve murders. His life may not be normal, but it's simple enough.

Until the dead start talking back.

When Gideon accidentally rescues a werewolf, she drags him into the secret world of the Others. Fae, shifters, golems and more, trying to survive unnoticed in the looming shadow of Milus Dei -- a powerful cult dedicated to hunting down and eradicating them all.

Then a dead man speaks to him, saying that Milus Dei wants him more than any Other. They'll stop at nothing to capture him and control the abilities he never knew he had.

Because Gideon is the DeathSpeaker. He is the key. And he's not exactly as human as he thought...

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
                      The Dressdown Files?
                      Boo!!!. Hiss!!!

Comment

• Quoth It's me View Post
                        Latest books: "The DeathSpeaker Codex" series by Soyna Bateman.
                        Love this series! Just finished the (current) last in the series.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Triggered by Donald Trump Jr.

I always had a good feeling about him, I'm getting to understand why. I'd love to go hunting or fishing with him.
                          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Just started reading a novel from a respected smaller press, written by a NYT Bestselling author.

The first three pages were nothing but exposition, and now, three chapters in, every other page has a huge chunk of exposition.

Just...why? How?
                            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• I'm cashing in and re-reading all the Ring of Fire ebooks I have (51)... there are (currently) about 77 more.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Yeah, Ring of Fire is getting a bit overwhelming, isn't it? Great concept, but maybe there's such a thing as TOO successful?
                                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                                X