No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have started reading The Atheist's Handbook to the Old Testament Volume One by Dr. Joshua Bowman. It is a very readable and interesting overview of the Middle East in the late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I'm finally reading the last book in the Wolf Brother series, Wolf Bane. I keep having to remind myself that these books are written for children/teens. The main character, Torak (a teenage boy), keeps making the same mistakes, even when people close to him try to warn him that what he's doing is bad.

I'm mostly reading this series because my stepson wants to talk to me about them. I'm glad I'm on the last one. They're ok, but the repetition is annoying.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Currently reading Stuka, The Doctrine of the German Dive Bomber by the guys known as "Military Aviation History" and "Military History Visualized" on Youtube. It contains translations of original 30s and 40s documents on how the Ju-87 was supposed to be used.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• I finished reading The Atheist's Handbook to the Old Testament Volume One by Dr. Joshua Bowman and have now started reading The Atheist's Handbook to the Old Testament Volume Two by Dr. Joshua Bowman. Volume One covered the Mesopotamia while volume two is concerned with Egypt during the Old Testament times. The forthcoming volume three will cover the conquest of Canaan.

Comment

• Plowing through Star Trek: Constellations, an anthology of TOS-era short stories. Bite-sized and tasty. I specifically just finished 'See No Evil', which I can sum up as "Uhura versus the Planet Of Cancel Culture". For one, it's funny 'cause this book was published in 2006, way before that became A Thing on the internet; for two, nice to get an Uhura-centric story, they're pretty rare.
            Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
            They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• I've just finished reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. It was good. I saw the movie first, and it had a different vibe. After reading the Expanse series, I'm afraid I've been spoiled by what a good book is. AH:VH was a good book, it just wasn't Expanse levels of good.

I'm now reading the sequel, Last American Vampire. I like it so far. It uses the same framing of "I, the author, am playing a fictional version of myself who's writing a book about supposedly true events" that the first one did. It allows the use of an unreliable narrator, which I rather like.
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                I've just finished reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. It was good.
                I agree. It is an excellent book. Haven't seen the movie yet.

I am now reading "How To Sell A Haunted House" by Grady Hendrix.

Comment

• Just finished Firefly: Big Damn Hero and I'm into The Magnificent Nine. Pretty shiny so far, they feel like they'd fit into the show pretty well!

Comment

• With my internet access at work disabled, I've started making an actual dent in my reading backlog. And by "dent," I mean I've started to run low on books to read to the point that I'm now actively buying books again for myself instead of just waiting until Xmastime.

Finished off the Nevernight Chronicles by Jay Kristoff, which was an interesting fantasy trilogy with some decent worldbuilding and wonderfully snarky footnotes.

Read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, after hearing about it a while back. Another interesting historical fantasy, want to track down a legitimate source for streaming the TV series they did for it, to see how well it was adapted.

Just started the Rivers of London series, need to pick up the second book.

ETA: Forgot that I also read the first Witcher novel, too.
                    Last edited by Jay 2K Winger; 04-07-2023, 03:51 AM.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Oh, Rivers of London was excellent! The rest of the series is also good!

I've been reading lots of stuff on Reddit, mostly on r/HFY . "Suddenly A Dungeon" and "Accidentally Adopted" have been great fun!!
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• I picked up "Johnny and the Dead" by Terry Pratchett at a recent library book sale. It's very funny. It's a children's/young adult book about a 12-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he can see ghosts. Or the "recently dead" as they prefer to be called. These dead folks rope Johnny into trying to keep the cemetery from being turned into an office building. There's tons of jokes about the dead not understanding the present world, and Johnny and his friends not understanding the past. As soon as I'm done with it, I'm going to pass it on to my 10-year-old stepson. I'm sure he'll love it.
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Have now just got through Why Mummy Gets Sloshed

From the first in the series(Why Mummy Drinks)- 'Welcome to Mummy's world.Daddy likes Gadgets.Boy Child Peter and Girl Child Jane like starting fires,trying to kill each other and driving Mummy to drink,and Mummy just needs a break'.We then progress through Why Mummy Swears,Why Mummy Doesn't Give a F*?#@ and Why Mummy Gets Sloshed through the delightful teenage years until they're stashed off to university and the peace and quiet begins*

Ooh and yippy yay there's a new one coming out for Christmas...Why Mummy Drinks at Christmas

*hahahahahahaha....
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Still paging my way through that Firefly novel, but I multi-read. Got into my first piece of manga - volume 1 of Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin. I likes me some giant robots, but man, as a westerner who genuinely has not read manga before, this takes a lot of effort!

Nothing really on the nonfiction front, but picked up a new tabletop rulebook for Team Yankee, the Cold War alt-history minis game.

Comment

• I'm currently reading 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching & Raising Children with Autism or Asperger's [an outdated designation - we are now encouraged to say Autism Spectrum Disorder] by Ellen Notbohm and Veronica Zysk. I had bought it a while back, but lent it to my partner's mom, who is raising his son who has ASD. Although a lot of the suggestion are focused more on children who are more neurodivergent than my stepson, I'm still finding a lot of things that are helpful. They had suggestions for homemade fidget toys, which is great. They also suggested getting a chew necklace for a child of any age, if that's a comfort for them. I've seen my stepson chew on his shirts or regular necklaces, so I asked him if he'd like me to get him some silicone chew necklaces. He said yes, so they're on their way.
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• I am reading "If You Shoot The Breeze, Are You Murdering The Weather?" by Alan Dean Foster. A collection of 100 short essays he wrote for a local newspaper.

Comment

Working...
                                X