No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of Mercedes Lackey. I've gotten through three of the "500 Kingdoms" books, which offer an interesting take on fairy tales, and just finished off "Joust", which is a sort of ancient-Egypt-meets-jousting-on-dragons thing. With two sequels of the latter to go. Most of the above were checked out of the local library.

They're great mental popcorn!!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Finished off the Rivers of London series, then started bringing in some of my D&D books to bone up on lore and knowledge and such for future tabletop play.

Also recently acquired the Binging with Babish cookbook after starting to get into Babish's YouTube channel. I don't know that I'll ever actually make anything from the cookbook, but I like his channel and want to support it.

Similarly, I've pre-ordered B. Dylan Hollis's Baking Yesteryear cookbook, as I like Dylan's short videos (originally on TikTok, but as I don't use TikTok, I follow him on YouTube) and have actually made one of the recipes he featured-- Ice Cream Bread. (Which is delightful. Partway bread, partway cake, a little bit sweet without being overpowering. Gave some to my diabetic Mom, who loved it.) Looking forward to seeing what other recipes Dylan put in the cookbookk.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Oh, I loved the Rivers of London books. Not sure if there's another one that has come out since I read the last one; I'll have to check my library again.

I think I'll re-read the Murderbot Diaries again soon. Gonna hit Powell's City of Books today or tomorrow!!!
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

Comment

• Most recent book is, I believe, Amongst Our Weapons. I've also read the three novellas and the short story collection (Tales from the Folly), but I need to get my hands on the comic books, since they are also canon. I got the first comic book, Body Work, for Christmas, and I've seen references to it in at least one of the novels. (Peter mentions "the most haunted car in England," which featured in the comic.)
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• I'm hurtling through Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St.Mary's series. Lots of timehopping about so you have to keep track of what happened in each book,especially when you get to multiple timelines,with multiple versions of St.Mary's in past present and future with people who are either dead,maybe dead,aren't dead here but everybody thinks they are because they are dead in an alternate version....
            But the main character Max is a feisty little sod* and there's lots of fun hopping to scenes from history,not just from major events but everyday life,even the gory bits(anyone fancy dealing with a fellow traveller who has caught the plague in 14th century England?).

* Yes I'd do her.in fact she gets done several times.Over the bonnet of a car sometimes.Lucky sod*
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Time for my yearly meander though LOTR - today is the 22nd of September, so happy birthday to Bilbo and Frodo Baggins.
              Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
              They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• I just finished "The Flavors of Other Worlds" by Alan Dean Foster. This is a collection of 13 science fiction tales.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I have started reading "Indian Givers: How the Indians of the Americas Transformed the World" by Jack Weatherford. An excellent book.

Comment

• I am now reading "The Journals of Major-Gen. C. G. Gordon, C. B. At Kartoum". This book was published in 1885. I purchased it from a used book store around 1970, and finally decided I should read it. It is an interesting account of Gen. Gordon's last months during the siege of Khartoum, Sudan, by Islamic extremists. He died there in January 1885.

Comment

• Finally got ahold of "With The Lightnings" by David Drake. (RIP.) I've read many of the other books in this series, but apparently I started with the second book. So now I finally get to read how our intrepid protagonists meet in the first place, and where their starship comes from.

Comment

• I started reading "On A Sea of Glass". It's a book about the Titanic. I'm really enjoying it so far.
                        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• I get my monthly bundle fix from the baen of all budgets... (7 ebooks for $20, 4 of them new) and sometimes some other purchases.
                          I just finished reading the Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia ... Presently 9 books + 4 collections/offshoots.

One irritating set of "Old Sarge's Tales" in them is about silver bullets compared to lead: A) Lighter weight B) Harder metal C) Expensive

A) Pure silver is 92.5% the density of lead => damn close
                          B) Relevant to blackpowder shooting. Since the 1880s anything useful is jacketed, usually brass or copper, which are also much harder than lead.
                          A1) Factoring in the necessary jacket, a solid silver bullet will weigh *more* than a jacketed lead bullet.
                          C) These good old boys shoot mostly 45 ACP, 7.62x51, 12.7x99 & 5.56x45. Now a 168 grain 7.62 silver bullet will be about $7 of silver. Steep for plunking crows, WOW-somever, they also deploy a Mi-24 Hind copter for maximum giggles. The silver in the ammo is going to be a minor expense!

Other Old Sarge's Tales I've run across:
                          1960s: tin foil in yer hubcaps will protect you from cop radar!
                          1990s: (old tunnel rat SCIF supervisor) Depleted Uranium is not radioactive!
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• OMG, I haven’t posted on this thread in a while. I borrowed the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan from my stepson. I enjoyed it. A modern setting where the Greek gods are real and continue to have children with mortals. Fun light reading. The first book is now a series on Disney+.

Now I’m reading the Magnus Chase series also by Rick Riordan. It’s set in the same universe as Percy Jackson, but focuses on the Norse gods.
                            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

• I have started reading "Robots Through The Ages." A collection of stories editted by Robert Silverberg and Bryan Thomas Schmidt.

Comment

• Just picked up a couple of Brandon Sanderson books from my local library. Gonna read them while on vacation...

Comment

Working...
                                X