No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got through 2 of the Garrett books before setting them aside due to the misogyny of the main character (and, presumably, the author).

On another recommendation from my fiancé, I'm reading Shame and Pride: Affect, Sex, and the Birth of the Self by Donald L. Nathanson. It's a dense psychological text that's trying to explain a system for describing emotions from both a biological and psychological perspective. I keep wanting to argue with the author. His explanations seem overly simplistic. OTOH, I'm still on the first chapter, so maybe some of the things that are annoying me with their over-simplicity are explained better in later chapters.

It strikes me that I've been having an antagonistic relationship with the authors I've been reading lately. I guess I'm one of those people now.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Rereading Neutron Star by Larry Niven.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I set aside the book I was reading and read Leviathan Wakes, the first book in the Expanse series. It was very good. Suspenseful. It's not exactly "hard" sci-fi, but it tries to explain the realities of exploring the solar system from the crew's perspective. It's got action, intrigue, and bit of horror thrown in as well.

I thought it would be cool to watch the first episode of the tv series based on the books, but I stopped after the first episode. They made some changes that maybe they thought would humanize the characters, but served no purpose in the story.

I recommend reading the books over watching the tv series.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Rereading Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub

Comment

• I am now reading Silhouette in Scarlet by Elizabeth Peters.

One perfect red rose, a one-way ticket to Stockholm, and a cryptic "message" consisting of two Latin words intrigue art historian Vicky Bliss—as they were precisely intended to do. Beautiful, brilliant and, as always, dangerously inquisitive, Vicky recognizes the handiwork of her former lover, the daring jewel thief John Smythe. So she takes the bait, eagerly following Smythe's lead in the hope of finding a lost treasure. But the trail begins at a priceless fifth century chalice which will place Vicky at the mercy of a gang of ruthless criminals who have their eyes on an even more valuable prize. And the hunt threatens to turn deadly on a remote island, where a captive Vicky Bliss must lead an excavation into the distant past—and where digging too deep for the truth could dig her own grave.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• "The Secret Horsepower War." It's an account of aero engine development on the Western Front of the Second World War, written by a former Formula 1 powertrain engineer.

It's a good book if you like the subject matter, but it could use a thorough editing. There are numerous places where the author starts a sentence with one thought and finishes it with another; places where he says that "person X said Y" and then supplies a quote of them saying Z, uses terms which he doesn't define, and so on.

The good parts are the material that it covers. He uses many primary sources (as in, TONS of them!) and has lots of nifty diagrams and photos. You get to read what the people who were actually designing and working on these engines had to say about them at the time, and see the often-barely-contained chaos of the general development environment.

I used to have (as I think many of us do!) the image that X aircraft came with Y engine and it made Z horsepower, which made it better than the L aircraft with engine M making N horsepower. But the picture revealed in this book is more of a one-handed juggler trying to keep 17 balls in the air at the same time, while trying to keep up a conversation in Swahili. The difficulties they faced were extraordinary, and it seems like a minor miracle that so many planes actually did fly at the time!
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                ... it seems like a minor miracle that so many planes actually did fly at the time!
                "If you apply enough power, *anything* will fly." - Rocket Science
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Umm, that's actually my point. The book talks about engines, and the myriad difficulties designing and building them.

No engine == no power == no flying.
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
                    "If you apply enough power, *anything* will fly." - Rocket Science
                    "We often learn at the end of an episode of MythBusters, everyday objects can, in fact, be made lethal if Jamie builds a gun to shoot them." --Adam Savage
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      "We often learn at the end of an episode of MythBusters, everyday objects can, in fact, be made lethal if Jamie builds a gun to shoot them." --Adam Savage
                      Well, there's always the cover for the Pascal-B a-bomb test at ~150,000 mph.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Even lawn mowers can fly.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I'm into my yearly re-read(ish) of Lord of the Rings. I try to dive into the books around Bilbo and Frodo's canonical birthday, and even though I rarely actually go through the whole trilogy, it's literary comfort food. I can pick up any volume, read a chapter or four, and still be entertained.
                          Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                          They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• Right now, I'm thumbing through a book on chess strategy. I'm not any good at chess, but I usually like to play.
                            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• This week, I got a book on techniques for Lego architecture. I recently got back into Lego because of my 8yo stepson and the show Lego Masters. Instead of just giving instructions for what to build, the book gives tips and ideas for different techniques, which I've been practicing on a small scale. After Halloween, when I tear down my Haunted House sets, I'm going to start building castles like I did as a kid.
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Sounds like fun. I really enjoyed Lego as a kid.
                                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                                X