This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are about there....

empty nesters, that is. Our youngest boy graduated last night & will head off to college this fall. Our oldest boy gets married this afternoon and will soon be moving to a town a little further away.

We've been raising kids for almost 22 years and while I love them to pieces, the bonus kids, too, I'm ready for a break and time to be a couple again with my husband. We've been very involved with the wedding planning and setup (that has totally stressed me out) so we are taking next weekend, a long weekend, and heading out for a long walk in the woods, hiking some of Kentucky and Tennessee's most beautiful hills.

I managed to get through last night with only a couple of tears although I did tear up unexpectedly at the wedding rehearsal. Let's hope I get through today tear free.

One kid getting married, and the youngest off to college? The hell with keeping a poker face! Weep away!

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
      Let's hope I get through today tear free.
      Why? Isn't it part of the tradition?

Blessings to the happy couple and enjoy your getaway next weekend.

PS
      When my parents kick the youngest out of the house, they moved into a motor home so that no one could move back home... again. Think about it.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
        ... so that no one could move back home... again. Think about it.
        My daughter bought a one-bedroom home...

She has two trolls brothers in the underfinished basement.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Did the empty nest thing 12 years ago. My GF (who I moved in with) was already there with her DD and grandson.

My parting with my DD did not go all that well. It was a year after my now ExDW left for whatever pastures. DD is a bit of an idiot and tends to get a bit real lazy. This was about a year (in August) after my GF and I had started seeing each other and we were making plans for me to move in with her. I wanted to be generous with my DD but I was working 2 jobs totaling about 75 hours a week (no days off) and DD was home most of the time as she had graduated from HS the year before. SO if fell to her to help out with the house work. I did not ask too much BUT it seemed she could NOT even handle that.

I was originally planning to move in with GF in spring (cause moving in winter is not fun). So I told DD that she had (this was July) until say April of the next year to get her stuff together and move out (meaning get a job ssave some money, plan ahead, get a place, etc.). It came to a head that August with my DD. my DD sort "issued" me an ultimatum that she did NOT like my rules and all the stuff I expected of her housework wise. I said OK NO PROBLEM Do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I was willing to work around some things but since I had 2 full time jobs and she did NOT she created most of the "mess" (dishes, trash, things like that) she could also vacuum every once in a while (as we had a Golden Retriver at the time). NOPE she was moving out and possibly going to one of the local shelters.

OK BYE BYE. I will store what I can but get your shit together and head on out into the wild blue yonder with that attitude.

she looked shocked but accepted the situation. So I moved up my move plans to right after Thanksgiving.

Unfortuneately she has not gotten much better with cleaning and attitude.

GF and I had a nice time until GF got sick and then passed away 2 years ago.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

We survived on all fronts!

The events of the weekend have happened...and then some. Youngest son graduated, I shed only 2 tears. I think I was more worried about my grandparents (him 90 and her 83)-we had reserved seating for the 3 bottom rows of seats, not a single seat available so Grandma climbed the steps to the top of the entire lower level! Getting them in and back out was somewhat worrisome but I'm so glad they got to be there.

The wedding...there is always something. We arrived about an hour prior to the ceremony. The groom forgot his pants back at their house. My DH drove back to their place to find them and get them back (experience counts when you need to drive faster than normal, and hubby found out the max limit on DS's truck lol!)

One of the bride's uncles was kind enough to have an ATV to get the older folks down into the actual venue. We started about 30-45 minutes after the original time schedule. But, it was such a beautiful ceremony, I don't think we minded at that point.

We dodged rain drops at the reception site for a bit but the meal was eaten (BBQ buffet style) and absolutely delicious. Not a dish there that wasn't just awesome.

Tables and music got moved to the barn just in time as the clouds opened up and poured for a bit. We danced, kissed and had a grand time. The bride and groom stayed a little longer than they planned to because they were having so much fun. They left and we went to clean up a bit.

Just as I am pulling into our drive, just married son called and said, "Let me just preface this by saying I am ok, she is ok and we think the car is ok." My heart just about stopped!! I got a general idea of where they were (only 3 miles from their home but on a major interstate) and grabbed DH and we headed back out to rescue our kids. DS found a mile marker and called us back to tell us exactly where they were. Turns out, in all the rain, she hydroplaned, spun around and slid off the road backwards. No injuries, thank goodness. Before we could get to them, the state police, fire truck and fire/rescue truck got to them. Thank goodness for small communities. Once the medics checked them out, they went back to the fire truck and told the assistant chief that they were fine, just a local couple that had just gotten married. Well, he rolled out of that truck, apparently pretty darn fast because he knew those kids....I work with him and he had just cooked part of the meat for their wedding reception! My coworker stayed there at the car with them until we could get there.

Their car was packed to the gills with wedding gifts and stuff they hadn't cleaned out so things shifted/moved/fell during the spinout and slide. Son lost his glasses but this was only after he had trecked out to the mile marker and back. Trooper got us a tow truck out to pull the car out. Sunday evening, in the pouring rain, he got the car out and it was still drivable. The kids weren't hurt and neither was their car!

We got the kids home, got their car home and (mostly) unpacked. She was still pretty shook up but we are so fortunate that they weren't injured. I looked at the area from the road and down around where she stopped. Had the car not stopped for another foot or two, she would have hit a rock culvert that would most likely have sent the car flipping.

Youngest son texted, concerned and once he found out everyone was ok, was only needing food brought home. I swear, he is a bottomless pit!

So, these kids will certainly have memories to tell for years of their wedding day. I'm glad it's over, though. Time to rest. We are going to get their other vehicle back to them this morning so they can still go on their honeymoon and my DH will check the car out really well before we let them back in it.

Comment

Read Robert Fulghum's stories about weddings! (scattered around his books)

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
              It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It
              Uh-Oh: Some Observations from Both Sides of the Refrigerator Door
              Maybe (Maybe Not)
              From Beginning to End—The Rituals of Our Lives
              True Love
              Words I Wish I Wrote
              What on Earth Have I Done
              The Ongoing Adventures of Captain Kindergarten
              If You Love Me Still, Will You Love Me Moving?
              The Argentine Tango Chronicles

Comment

Wow, that's some weekend! Your son showed serious consideration when he was calling you!

Comment

Some free downloads!

(Fuhlgum: apparently from the Danelaw... crazy legs)

Comment

Working...
                  X