• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worst

The vet just called.

My kitty has cancer.

She has, at the most, six months left.

I'm sorry to hear it. I know you'll make her remaining time the best any cat ever had though.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I don't know how long that will be. I can only assume that she's eating wet food because it hurts to eat the dry food. This means she's already in pain. If so, the pain isn't going to get any better.

One day, I'm going to have to take her to the vet one last time.

Comment

My condolences.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear that.

My husband and I have 2 cats.

One of our cats, Spunky, was adopted as a kitten in 2008.

I would be devastated if Spunky was diagnosed with cancer.

Comment

Been here, done this. Gut-wrenching. My deepest sympathies.

Comment

Oh no... I am so, so sorry.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I'm sorry. Have been there too many times. Cherish her for as long as you can. At least she has you to care for her until the time comes.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yesterday, she was sunning herself in the window when the vet called with the news. She spent a fair amount of time in the sun.

Today, she's spent almost the entire day under the bed. I was on the bed earlier, and she jumped up and rested against me for a while. Then she went under the bed again.

I don't understand this. It's as if she knows what's going to happen, or knows that I know. She's still eating, drinking, grooming, using the litter box, and working on her scratching post. But she's under the bed almost all the time. Her breath smells horrible. I don't know if it's because her teeth have some tartar buildup, or because of the tumor (which is in her trachea).

She's been with me through so much. When i got her, several of my loved ones were still alive. She's moved with me more than once. She's always met me at the door, winding herself around my legs until I picked her up. She used to sleep on the bed next to me. She's played with the toys I bought her. She's been an integral part of my life for almost ten years, and now, we have to say goodbye.

It's not fair. She should have been with me for at least another decade. Not only is she going to leave, I have to keep an eye on her until it's clear that she can't continue the way she is. The tumor is going to further restrict her ability to breathe and swallow.

She didn't deserve this. Any of it.

Comment

Eireann, words cannot express how sorry I am. I too have been through this many times, and as morgana says, it is gut-wrenching.

She has been showered with love during her time with you, and that will continue for the time she has left. I have no doubt she knows that.
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I've just been looking at cremation prices. I can't believe so much has changed in such a short time. Three days ago, my hopes were high that the tests would come back negative for cancer, and that I would go to the vet and get medication to treat her. Everything would be well, then.

Now, it's as if a switch has been thrown. How could she have changed this much since I got the diagnosis? I thought she was doing better, until I got the news. I wonder if my own emotional state has something to do with it. Maybe my constant crying has her worried. I don't know.

I've been lying on the floor next to the bed to pet her. When I do, she often comes out for more attention. I was slicing some turkey earlier, and turned to see her a few feet away, waiting for her share. So she's still hungry, and still willing to come out from under the bed to get food. We spent some time together next to her food dish. I was petting her, and she was enjoying the attention. But not the way she used to do, when she turned around and around and butted her head against my hand and purred hard. Now, it's mostly lying on the floor and letting me pet her.

The vet said six months, at the most. I'm not even sure that it will be six days, the way things are going. She'll jump up on the bed and spend some time with me, but then she starts coughing and hides under the bed again. I try to get her to stay with me, but she doesn't. It's almost as if she's already gone, and I hate that. I want to know if she's suffering, and if so, how much. How can I know when it's time to make that horrible decision?

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear that, Eireann. I've only had one cat that's been mine and not a family pet. He's 11 years old, and has been with me through three jobs, four apartments, and me going back to school. I know that someday he'll be gone, and the very idea is devastating. I feel like when the time comes to make the decision you'll know it in your heart.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

In my experience, they let you know when they are ready to move on.

And you have to be strong for them and know the choice you make is made out of love. Because they can't choose for themselves, they can't speak for themselves.

I don't know what anyone else believes, but I think we all catch up to each other eventually, and the ones we love will wait as long as they have to until we too move on.
                          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

The Etiquette Hell website used to have a discussion board, and on one of the threads, a woman posted about a friend of hers who had a vivid dream. She dreamed that she was at the Rainbow Bridge (where pets go when they die). However, it wasn't a bridge; it was a large cave, filled with all sorts of animals. The woman's two deceased dogs bounded out of the crowd to greet her. They were able to communicate with her, and told her that they loved her and they were happy. They also asked her to give a message to her friend (the woman who wrote the story) from her deceased dog, telling her that the dog was all right.

I hope that this is how things are. The dogs in the story told their owner that they were waiting for her on the other side.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                              *snip*

I want to know if she's suffering, and if so, how much. How can I know when it's time to make that horrible decision?
                              My guess would be that she is not suffering yet. She is showing interest in food and in cuddles, even if she is spending a lot of time under the bed.

There are, sadly, no hard-and-fast rules for this kind of thing.All you can do is estimate the quality of life overall, and then make a decision. I've had numerous cats in my life and it never gets easier. Hugs to both of you.
                              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                              X