Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Card Exchange 2018 Edition: Lists have gone out -- Time to send!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Android Kaeli's card today! My first one!
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Today I received cards from Android Kaeli, Ghel and taxguykarl.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I got cards from Android Kaeli and csquared today.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• I've gotten
          taxguykarl
          Ghel
          Ironclad Alibi
          csquared
          Android Kaeli

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
            Got Android Kaeli's card today! My first one!
            Fun fact thingie: I've never sent anything out of the country before, even a card!, so this was kind of a learning/new experience for me. Am glad that the card got to you!

This is also my first year doing this, I'm thinking I'm going to continue to sign up for this. I had always been hesitant to sign up for a variety of reasons, but this year I figured I'd go ahead and take the leap to do it -- and will sign up next year for it.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
              This is also my first year doing this, I'm thinking I'm going to continue to sign up for this. I had always been hesitant to sign up for a variety of reasons, but this year I figured I'd go ahead and take the leap to do it -- and will sign up next year for it.
              Yay!

I got nothin' today. I have my cards ready to go but I didn't have return address labels with me at work so they will go in the mail tomorrow morning (if I get out of the house early enough) or in the evening (if not).
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

• Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                I have my cards ready to go but I didn't have return address labels with me at work so they will go in the mail tomorrow morning (if I get out of the house early enough) or in the evening (if not).
                So, yeah, I did not. I'll drop them in the mail on my way home tonight. Please ignore my terrible handwriting. Plus, I had exactly enough return address labels from Heifer Project featuring animals in Santa hats.

My cards may or may not be the same ones as last year...

Comment

• Cards went in the mail today -- assuming the poor guy in the postal substation remembers to put the stamps on the 15 going to the U.S. I had made his life a little more complicated by putting "permanent" stamps on each envelope -- do you have those elsewhere? They have no value printed on them but are supposedly good for letters no matter when you send the letters out, so even if/when the price of stamps goes up, you can still use just the one stamp.

Unfortunately, this would've required a certain amount of math, to calculate the current value of the permanent stamps, plus the actual cost of a card to the U.S., and then subtract the one from the other and multiply the result by 15 ... I recognized the deer-in-the-headlights look on his face because I've worn it myself many times, so I told him to just ignore the permanent stamps and I'd pay for the full U.S. postage on each card ... and will remember next time: cards going out of the country: NO STAMPS!! So everybody will have Christmas stamps as well as the required postage ... also, csquared, you have got the Halifax explosion stamp.

DGoddessChardonnay: I'm sorry to say that when I was writing your envelope, my hand jerked a bit so your name now looks something like "DGoddessChardonnary".

I didn't use address labels simply because I have to connect my new printer, and I knew if I made the cards' departure contingent on my doing so, the recipients MIGHT get them next Easter ...

Don't mind the outdated (as in 2009) little stickers on the back of each envelope ... I figured I had 'em, so I'd use 'em up.

There is, of course, no guarantees regarding the cards' arrival; I believe the rotating strikes have stopped (government issued a back-to-work order) but of course the post office is now backed up halfway to hell ...
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                    "permanent" stamps
                    We call them "Forever Stamps".

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                    csquared, you have got the Halifax explosion stamp.
                    \o/

ETA: Today is the 101 anniversary of the Halifax Explosion.

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                    the post office is now backed up halfway to hell ...
                    Michigan or Norway?
                    Last edited by csquared; 12-06-2018, 10:39 PM. Reason: ETA
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• Pixilated - if it makes you feel better I had my cards out of order one year and accidentally put US postage on a few international cards before I realized. The woman at the PO was annoyed with me.

So far I have received:
                      1. taxguykarl
                      2. Ghel
                      3. Ironclad Alibi
                      4. csquared
                      5. Android Kaeli
                      6. Dreamstalker
                      7. telecom_goddess

(bold ones came today)

I dropped my cards in the mail on my way home tonight.

Comment

• Quoth csquared View Post
                        We call them "Forever Stamps".

\o/

ETA: Today is the 101 anniversary of the Halifax Explosion.

Michigan or Norway?
                        I was in Halifax visiting my brother and SIL many, MANY years ago, but was unaware of this disaster at the time. I'm thinking now I should go back; they've also got a lovely Pier 21 museum (Pier 21 is where boatloads of immigrants came through ... including my mother's parents ... we tried to get my grandfather to go back for a visit but he said no, "It smells like fish!!" Grandpa, that was half a century ago; it's MUCH better now ...)

Given what the backlog is probably like, I'd say Norway.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        Pixilated - if it makes you feel better I had my cards out of order one year and accidentally put US postage on a few international cards before I realized. The woman at the PO was annoyed with me.

*snip*
                        Christmas is not a time to screw up on anything going in the mail, LOL. The poor guy that I went to today was so rattled for a few minutes that he nearly sent out my England card with just the Canadian permanent stamp on it ... would've been a short ride. Either that, or there would've been postage owing at the other end ...

Oh, and I got a lovely card o' glitter from taxguykarl.
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• telecom_goddess's arrived today
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• telecom_goddess's card came today for me as well.
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• I received a beautiful card from Dreamstalker today.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Picked my mail up today (I share a mailbox with family...not by choice, and they don't always keep track of all my mail)...I got these:

TaxGuyKarl
                                Android Kaeli (penguin!!!)
                                telecom_goddess
                                csquared
                                Ironclad Alibi
                                Ghel (awwwww)

Thanks to all of ye for the thoughts and the notes!
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X