Music update! Making Progress!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music update! Making Progress!!

I'm making some more progress on my music! I came up with an album name, and I am currently putting chords to some songs I wrote that I am going to record! I have about half of them done! Once that's finished, I'm going to record them at home on a digital recorder I have.

When I'm finished, I found a place that will do short-run vinyl, and I'm going to get at least one made in vinyl (probably to get framed and put on the wall). I'm also going to get some short-run physical CDs made. Probably a hundred or so. I think I can get them through CD Baby for about $200.

It's going to be a country music album with just me and my acoustic guitar. I'm going to have to think about which acoustic I want to use, though; my Takamine EG334 SBC, or my Takamine GB-7C Garth Brooks signature series.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Most people would swap out for whatever sounds (or "feels") right for the song. When I was in a band (a thousand years ago) I had 3 basses that I would choose from, depending largely on the song. (An acoustic bass doesn't quite fit a death metal song; a Dean probably isn't best for an unplugged ballad.)
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
      Most people would swap out for whatever sounds (or "feels") right for the song. When I was in a band (a thousand years ago) I had 3 basses that I would choose from, depending largely on the song. (An acoustic bass doesn't quite fit a death metal song; a Dean probably isn't best for an unplugged ballad.)
      I actually like guitars. I've got my eye on a few others I would eventually like to buy. I have a Yamaha bass, but I'm considering swapping it out for a different one. I'd buy a P-bass, but those are a little pricey for me for an instrument I would be at a "starter" level to learn to play. I found a good looking one for around $100 that might be nice. I'm also considering buying an acoustic bass as well.

I'm also considering a 12-string acoustic, and a 335-style guitar. I saw a lap steel the other day for $100 or so that caught my eye, even though I don't know how to play lap steel. And I wouldn't mind upgrading my strat-style guitar with maybe a Squier.

But I'm hoping very soon I can put some more chords to the rest of my songs, and get recording.

Comment

12 strings are nice, but it takes some getting used to. My father bought me one for my 18th birthday, don't remember the brand but it was beautiful and sounded fantastic. Unfortunately, poverty led me to part ways with it some years later.
        Last edited by Deserted; 03-17-2021, 05:19 AM. Reason: spelling oopsie
        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
          12 strings are nice, but it takes some getting used to. My father bought me one for my 18th birthday, don't remember the brand but it was beautiful and sounded fantastic. Unfortunately, poverty led me to part ways with it some years later.
          I'm eyeing this one:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lectric-guitar

or this one:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lectric-guitar

Comparably priced, but I'm leaning toward the Takamine.

Comment

If it were me, I'd have to hear them to make a decision, really. Just going by looks or brand doesn't give you everything you need to decide.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
              If it were me, I'd have to hear them to make a decision, really. Just going by looks or brand doesn't give you everything you need to decide.
              I'm honestly not sure I'd be able to tell the difference.

Comment

When I'm looking to buy, I strongly prefer going to a store. Even if you don't intend to buy from them, visiting a store might at least give you an idea of the differences in sound, tone, feel, etc.

A family friend owns what I believe is the oldest operating guitar store in the Suicidal Self-Resurrecting Burning Bird City area (and also one of the best accordion repair shops in the state). If I'm buying, I start with her, and then if she doesn't have what I want, I'll go to either Sam Ash or the closest Guitar Center, depending on what I'm looking for.

This is her; you can see a balalaika above her head, and I don't even know what that is in the top left corner:

(She has more instruments through that doorway to the right, plus some around the corner behind the photographer.)

Now I want to head down there and say hi. Dammit. Mrs Deserted will have my head if I bring home more toys...

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                  When I'm looking to buy, I strongly prefer going to a store. Even if you don't intend to buy from them, visiting a store might at least give you an idea of the differences in sound, tone, feel, etc.

Now I want to head down there and say hi. Dammit. Mrs Deserted will have my head if I bring home more toys...
                  I'd like to go to a store. Right now, Mrs. MJR doesn't want me really going anywhere, even though I've been vaccinated. Though our son hasn't been yet, so maybe that's why, I dunno.

Anyway, there's a mom & pop music store about 15 miles from me that has (had?) the Yamaha. But I'd probably have to find a Guitar Center near me, and hope they had the Takamine.

I might buy one of them this Summer. We have a wedding anniversary coming up, and I want to wait until after that -- just in case.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                    Anyway, there's a mom & pop music store about 15 miles from me that has (had?) the Yamaha. But I'd probably have to find a Guitar Center near me, and hope they had the Takamine.
                    I suggest buying from the mom & pop. Buy local and all that.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                      I suggest buying from the mom & pop. Buy local and all that.
                      Good point. I wonder if I call them up and ask them if they'd order the Takamine for me if I decided to go with that one.

Comment

I imagine they won't order it just on the possibility you might buy it. It wouldn't hurt to talk to them, at least.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                          I imagine they won't order it just on the possibility you might buy it. It wouldn't hurt to talk to them, at least.
                          Oh, for sure. I wouldn't ask them to order it until/unless I wanted to buy it.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                            This is her; you can see a balalaika above her head, and I don't even know what that is in the top left corner:
                            I take it the balalaika is the one just to the left of the clock?

As for the top left: No idea (the one that kinda sorta looks like a curved rod with one big string?). Please ask if you do end up going over there I'm curious, myself.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              I take it the balalaika is the one just to the left of the clock?
                              Yes, the one with the triangular body. Kind of a Russian guitar or lute. Balalaika at Wikipedia, this 90's KitKat commercial was the first time I ever saw one (balalaika on the left, bass (?) balalaika on the right).

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              As for the top left: No idea (the one that kinda sorta looks like a curved rod with one big string?). Please ask if you do end up going over there I'm curious, myself.
                              Now that I'm looking at it, the "curved rod" one looks like it's probably from India. (No idea what it's called, though.) That pic is actually a couple years old, so there's no guarantee she even still has any of those instruments (although the balalaika has been there for several years).

Comment

Working...
                              X