So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish!

Well, I've got some bad news for you all, the Tow Files will be coming to and end soon.

Good news, it wasn't anything I did wrong, it was because the time was right to leave the towing business to head back to school.

School for learning how to drive a much bigger truck that can tow a LOT more!

Thank you to all the dedicated fans for keeping me honest and motivated to keep writing and collating them, even when I didn't want to. If all goes well, I should have my brand new class-A CDL by the end of September.

Had my first experience with a genuine 18-wheeler this week, did better than I thought I would in some ways, worse in others, but it's really just the 5 year old me playing the sandbox at this point.
    Attached Files
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Good luck in furthering your education and career.

We will welcome you back when you finish, because sucky customers are everywhere.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

We will definitely miss the Tow Files but best of luck in your new career!
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Please do keep in touch, and seriously consider compiling the Tow Files into a book? Who knows, the rest of us on the board might well put you through CDL school on the book sales.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Congratulations! We'll miss the tow stories and your unique way of telling them, but good on you!
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Congratz!!
            Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

What they said ^_^

Congrats, man, and we all wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors and your new series about bad drivers messing with you, the Big Rig Files!
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

A shame to lose you, but good luck in your future ventures.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Congrats! I expect you'll be exchanging one set of annoyances for another. But that's life.
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

Noooooo!!! How could you do that to us?

.... but seriously, congrats on moving forward! Here's wishing you smooth sailing and a complete lack of sucktomers in your future!
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Dash cam and a YouTube channel. Please?!!!
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Glad you made the jump when you did. The rules for getting into this are about to change and make it harder.

I second the Get a Dash Cam! Brake check scammers are more common than most realize and that dash cam will save your butt if one targets you.

The Tow Files may be ending, but I'm looking forward to the Idiots Behind the Wheel Files

Comment

Be careful driving a big rig- all the little four-wheelers on the road with you think you can stop and change direction just as quick as they can, and they WILL do all manner of stupid, life-threatening shit around you.

It's a terrific job, if you can deal with the stress. LOTS of physical stress. Sitting for 8 to 10 hours a day followed by an hour or two of hard labor is rough on a body. And messed up sleep schedules are a thing, too. Dispatchers don't care about if you need to sleep regular hours every night, all they care about is the load getting delivered.

Pay CLOSE attention to rules about logbooks. Learn them forwards and backwards. It's money out of YOUR pocket if you get caught breaking them.
                          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Some places have insanely tight delivery schedules. At the local chain warehouse that was part of the location I used to work at, I had a radio on the same frequency as one of the two receiving docks. On a busy day being as little as five minutes late could cost you your slot and force a reschedule. I can’t even fathom how much of a nightmare that must be.

Moreover, the unloading crew (called “lumpers”) we’re third-party contractors who billed by the load and weren’t paid by the warehouse. So if your trucking company hasn’t arranged to pay to hire the lumpers, your options are unload the truck yourself or pay the fee out of pocket and hope you can get reimbursed. And make it snappy, will ya?! There’s already another truck waiting to use this door!!

The receiving foreman was a real hardass, too. He could get meanif you made him mad. To be fair, those on the receiving end of his ire always earned it. Pro tip: don’t bring your kids with you and let them run rampant through the freight yard, and don’t call the lumpers a racial slur. Both of those things happened, and both led to the driver getting banned.
                            Last edited by Dave1982; 07-31-2021, 01:59 AM.
                            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Say, Arga – I have a new career goal for you, with regards to careful driving. This was done by the truck backing up into position and then settling down a bit.

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X