Take a hike, Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take a hike, Facebook

So NOW Facebook (which just recently crashed for umpty-numpty hours) has taken it upon itself to let members know their birthday is coming up ...

... and they should guilt-trip all their FB friends into donating to a charity of their choice.

How about "FUCK NO!!"
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I have been doing that for 20 years without Facebook. Oh, and my favorite charity is not in their list.

PS. Happy Birthday! Whenever that is...
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I spent 35 years with the US Federal Government resisting the Combined Federal Campaign pressures to donate. These online folks, including Facebook, are pikers compared to CFC. They don't get my money either. I decide who gets my donations.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

My birthday was last week and I was getting those notifications for weeks beforehand. I do most of my donating at Christmas (because I only do gifts with my immediate family (3 people) and a few friends so I don't spend much on it, and my family is at the point where we're just like, do a small gift for each person and take the rest of the money you'd have spent and donate it) and I don't try to rope my friends into it.

A few of my friends have done the donations thing and I just ignore them. I might support the organization but I'm not donating through a facebook link.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I didn't get anything like that from Facebook around my birthday. But then I have all notifications disabled.

Comment

There's a huge kicker to this that most people probably aren't aware of. ALL of the donations that any business (at least in the U.S.) collects that are given to a valid charity are tax deductible for the business that makes the donation. So what you're really doing is giving Facebook (or whatever other company is running the donation collection program) an even bigger tax break, since every dollar donated is directly deductible. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              I didn't get anything like that from Facebook around my birthday. But then I have all notifications disabled.
              Since posting the above I have gotten two notifications from Facebook that my account was logged into from distant locations. I am in Virginia. The first was in Florida. I changed my password. Then the next was in Georgia. I changed my password again.

Weird.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                I have been doing that for 20 years without Facebook. Oh, and my favorite charity is not in their list.

PS. Happy Birthday! Whenever that is...
                Thank you. I think I will take myself out to a really good Middle Eastern restaurant that I haven't been to in a while.

I spent 35 years with the US Federal Government resisting the Combined Federal Campaign pressures to donate. These online folks, including Facebook, are pikers compared to CFC. They don't get my money either. I decide who gets my donations.
                Emphasis mine. That's one of the many reasons I'm not interested in taking part in this.

Hmmm ... my birthday is set on 'Private' (or 'Only me' or whatever it is) so it's not announced publicly on FB. But it IS in my bio. Will have to see if I can fix that.

Quoth Kittish View Post
                There's a huge kicker to this that most people probably aren't aware of. ALL of the donations that any business (at least in the U.S.) collects that are given to a valid charity are tax deductible for the business that makes the donation. So what you're really doing is giving Facebook (or whatever other company is running the donation collection program) an even bigger tax break, since every dollar donated is directly deductible. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?
                I did not know that! I'll be happy to post that on FB in one of those "Hey, FB, is this TRUUUUUE?" posts.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                  There's a huge kicker to this that most people probably aren't aware of. ALL of the donations that any business (at least in the U.S.) collects that are given to a valid charity are tax deductible for the business that makes the donation.
                  Wouldn't the collection process count as taxable income, balancing that out?

Comment

I've often heard the same as Kittish. My best guess: I strongly suspect that it might not count as "taxable income" per se, as it is immediately countered by an expense in the form of a charitable donation. Thus, no net profit. I'll drop Karl a line, he's our expert.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

As far as I know it is a pass through. They don't record it as income and they can't claim the donation. It is the same thing I do for my Toys for Tots.
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                      X