Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh. My. Gods. This is the best thing ever!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh. My. Gods. This is the best thing ever!!!

Recently, it occurred to me to wonder if there are active cooling systems for beds. (Of course there are) See, we've got a tempurpedic, and while it's lovely to lay on, it gets very, very warm in the middle of the night. Memory foam makes a dandy thermal mass... Well, I went looking for a cooling system and found one, and BF#1 (who really is a #1 BF) got it for me. It. Is. GLORIOUS. Imagine being all snug and cozy and warm in your blankets, while laying on a pleasantly cool surface that stays cool all night long! I wish I'd thought to go looking for this much sooner. For the first time in years, I did NOT wake up feeling like I was roasting and covered in sweat. Oh, and the system doesn't just cool (down to 55F)... It can get up to 115F, too, if what you really, really want is a pre-warmed bed. Or a full body heating pad.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

A superbed?
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

So what is it? And would it work on one of those beds that bend like hospital beds?
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

FWIW it's OK to list the brand/model/etc here Just as long as YOU don't stand to profit off of it
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The company that makes it is Chilisleep. The product is called Ooler. They've got another one that doesn't cost as much called Cube. (Even the cheaper one is almost as much as a whole bed, but so SO worth it) It should fit on a hospital style bed, yes, so long as you don't bend it enough to crimp the hoses. What it is is a pad that goes on top of your mattress under the fitted sheet and has tubes in it for water from the control unit. It also has elastic straps that go under your mattress to keep the pad in place. The whole thing needs maybe 40 ounces of water, so it's not a lot. The control unit heats or cools the water, then sends it through the pad. The end result is you stay nice and comfy all through your sleep period. The Cube is controlled directly from the unit, but the Ooler has an app so you can also use your phone to control it and set up sleep schedules and such. Really nice, say, if you want to slide into a nice, warm or cool bed then have the temp go up or down for sleeping. I'm actually looking forward to warmer months now.

I should also mention that setting it up was just almost plug n play level of easy. Most difficult part was lifting up one side of our mattress to get the pad straps in place. It took like maybe 5 minutes to get it all installed and functional.
          Last edited by Kittish; 12-14-2021, 12:30 PM.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I've been interested since I saw a commercial somewhere. I get how there can be a heating unit for the water but how does it cool? Is it like a teeny refrigerator? The picture in my head is adorable.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The control unit is a smallish block, maybe six inches tall, ten inches long and six or so inches wide. I presume it's got a tiny little compression coil in there for cooling (so, yeah, itsty bitsy teeny weeny little fridge). Whatever it is, it WORKS. And works very well. Quietly, too, and that's without turning on the silent fan setting (which it has! as well as a boost setting to hurry things along. Boost is slightly louder than normal, but even that is far from loud enough to be disturbing). If you can swing the cost, I highly recommend getting one.

Comment

There are solid state devices that will cool that do not involve a compression cycle.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  There are solid state devices that will cool that do not involve a compression cycle.
                  You know, I bet that's what they used. (Quick Google turned up a product that would work brilliantly for this application) That makes sense, with how quiet it is. And a heating element doesn't take up much space at all (and probably doesn't get used much, either).

Comment

Working...
                  X