Tabletop Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, the old double-post...
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• D&D AL Waterdeep Dragon Heist--

The continuing adventures of my Shadar-kai Twilight Cleric, who may be a cleric, but is decidedly not a nice person. The DM and I both agree that while he might not be Evil, he's definitely not Good.

Previous session, we came across a bunch of skeletons that attacked us. This session, we ran into a couple of kenku thugs from the Xanathar Guild, who had taken a man in wizard robes hostage, having stolen the macguffin from him. They slice his throat and one escapes, while Pell (my cleric) used Healing Word to keep the wizard from dying. The other thug is killed and the rest of the party chases after the one who got away. I stayed behind to stabilize the wizard, and question him briefly, but found the wizard knew nothing about the macguffin, there was nothing to learn from him. Which led to this exchange--

Pell: "Those skeletons... were those yours?"
      Wizard: (a necromancer) "...Yes?"
      Pell: (casts Inflict Wounds)
      Wizard: (dies)

The rest of the table was a bit surprised, but I pointed out, "Shadar-kai are blessed by the Raven Queen [the goddess of death], who notoriously hates the undead."

Later, as we caught up on the kenku who escaped, we were jumped by a bunch of Xanathar Guild thugs, who decided to taunt us while attacking one of our downed allies. Which led to me getting back-to-back one-liners.

Thug 1: "The Xanathar sends its regards."
      Pell: (casts Spiritual Weapon)
      Thug 1: (gets head knocked off)
      Pell: "Run along back to the Xanathar."
      Thug 2: "...The Xanathar--"
      Monk: (punches Thug 2's jaw off)
      Pell: "Never mind. We'll bring our regards to the Xanathar ourselves."
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• I got into a four-player game of Settlers on BGA. I wound up starting with settlements on both of the 6 spaces, so naturally 6 didn't roll for the first third of the game. One of my settlements was on three wheat fields, a 6, a 3, and an 11. The others were rolled at least once before the 6 ever was... I was able to use some port trades to pick up necessary resources, as well as trades (usually unfavorable, two of my goods for one of theirs) with my opponents.

I picked up two dev cards, one early and one late. Both were VP cards. I was able to upgrade one settlement into a city at the point that I only had three settlements. I was able to expand, and eventually got to an 8 space. After about halfway through the game, 6es started rolling at a decent rate and I was raking in the resources. I had a 3:1 port and expanded to a 2:1 for one of the things I made a lot of. The battle for Longest Road was somewhat intense; it bounced between three people for a while. I got it once but lost it very quickly after that.

I was finally able to leverage my 2:1 port for enough resources to build 2 more roads in one turn--and it was the turn after I had drawn that second VP card, making my (hidden) total 8. Add two more for Longest Road, and I won my first try at on-line Settlers!!
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

Comment

• I played in a one-shot last weekend that will hopefully become an ongoing campaign. Our DM has been having trouble scheduling games, so she came up with this mercenary-type group that takes on jobs in the game. With that setup, players can be gone a session and it’s no big deal. Players can swap out characters, too, if one isn’t working out for any reason.

I played my goblin warlock (pact of the chain). She has a quasit familiar that stayed invisible most of the time. During our only real battle that session, I had my familiar attack one of the enemies. The other PCs had softened up the enemy already, so my familiar’s claws took it out. I described it hanging on to the creature’s tail with one clawed hand while it dug in with the other, becoming visible as it attacked, doing enough damage to kill it. One of the other PCs goes, “what was that!?” As my familiar disappears again. LOL
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Mysteries of Albia--

The current case our band of investigators are handling is less a mystery and more "you guys get things done" and "you prevented a major assassination attempt," so we've been sent to accompany this ironclad out to determine what happened to the HMS Terror, which had returned to fantasy!England a year prior, with all hands missing but for the captain, Sir Francis Crozier. In our setting, Crozier had family ties that went all the way back to the founding of fantasy!England, and there was this sort of reliquary that had belonged to the family forebearer, but which turns out to be more or less our equivalent to the infamous Hand of Vecna, a D&D artifact of massive evil power, severed from the archlich and minor divinity Vecna himself.

The past few sessions, we've been traversing rivers and lakes and such in fantasy!Canada. There's been some big roleplay moments. One of the more significant ones came when our psychic rogue/warlock Vash tried to offer some comforting words to the frustrated and angry church-raised fighter Beckett. Vash had previously gone dream-walking through the party's dreamscapes, including Beckett's, seeing some dream-memory of a younger Beckett and a young girl, and tried to assure Beckett that he'd see "her" again. Only for Beckett to reveal to her (the rest of the party isn't aware yet) that while he does love "her," he must sever all connection to her for her sake. I think "she" is supposed to be his sister, because Beckett told Vash that his deadbeat parents had sold him to the church, and he willingly gave up major memories of his childhood to forget about them. It was a huge lore drop that none of us saw coming. It also explained the anger Beckett seemed to be feeling, as his faith in the church (though not the gods it worships) has wavered some, and he weaponized it when he revealed that he'd multiclassed into barbarian, allowing him to use the Rage ability to further increase his damage output.

This week's session saw no combat, but a mystery to solve as someone had sabotaged the ship's engine with a bomb and we needed to work out who was responsible. Fortunately, my gunslinger has access to a spell called Clue which highlights footprints and fingerprints, and colorizes each to a different individual, allowing us to rule out most of the crew. Only, we still got conflicting information, as several clues (including the spell) pointed to the ship's craftsman (carpenter), but who had an alibi. And after clearing him, other evidence pointed at a different crewman. We finally narrowed it down to specific crewmate, but when Vash/Knives confronted him in a one-on-one interrogation, that crewmate suddenly turned out to be a changeling, a member of the Lightning Guild (a thieves'/assassins' guild behind several of our cases), and a cultist of an evil dragon god. And then the changeling bit down on a cyanide capsule in his tooth to kill himself.

Good plan, except our Irish fey druid has the Revivify spell that can bring someone back from the dead. Which we did, and then the druid had the changeling hauled off to the Feywild for "extraordinary rendition" in some prison run by the Unseelie Court, where they would eventually break him. Except one of the things the changeling revealed before being dragged off was the new head of the Guild (called the Thunderlord) is Vash's biological father, much to her shock. She admitted to being adopted, but had always believed her bio-father was dead.

Toward the end of the session, Vash admitted to feeling conflicted about her father, implying some kind of obligation to him. Charlie (me) and Caradoc (the druid) both put the kibosh on that, saying that he hadn't raised her or been involved in her life. "He might be your father, but he wasn't your Dad." (Mike the DM, after this line got dropped, just nodded and said, "There it is." He knew someone would go for it.)

But then the topic got on to our satyr Caradoc, who was exiled from the Feywild some 3000+ years ago, and has been serving as the Seelie Court's deniable quasi-diplomatic asset in the material plane. We knew he's been cursed so he can't get drunk-- he doesn't get to experience the fun side of drinking, as he would put it-- so we assumed that he had drank the wrong person's expensive/valuable liquor or something...

(paraphrased)
            Caradoc: "I got exiled for doin' what a satyr does."
            Charlie: "Ah, you fucked up and drank the wrong person's booze?"
            Caradoc: "No, you had the first part right."
            Charlie: "You.. fucked... up?"
            Vash: "Wait--"
            Charlie & Vash: "You fucked Titania?"
            Caradoc: "Yeah. I cucked Oberon."
            Charlie: "Oh."
            Caradoc: "The King of the Unseelie Court."
            Vash: "Oh."
            Charlie & Vash: "Oh no."

So Caradoc's exile was less because he'd pissed off his queen, and more a political move, because if Oberon were to find out, and Caradoc had still been around in the Seelie Court, Titania would have had to make an example of him.

Still, finding out your party's druid once cucked Oberon was both hilarious ("So that's why he's always depicted with the antlers!") and terrifying.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

• Just picked up a copy of Dominion (the Big Box set). Hoping I can find someone who will play it with me.

Still doing the play-by-mail-ish Splendor on BGA. It's kind of tedious; each player gets up to 2 days to make their move...

Still playing real-time Six Nimmt. Still doing poorly at it.

Comment

• Forgot to add a bit from Mysteries of Albia last week--

The changeling (when he was still disguised, but captured) was set up to be a little too freaky for Vash to intimidate with threats of violence, sounding more excited than anything when she threatened to break his feet. I remarked on this above the table--

Me: "He's too much of a freak for threats."
                DM: (smiles, nodding) "Yup."
                Bob: "He's into that kind of thing."
                Eric: "Oh no."
                Me: "He 100% is on the list with Ashley Madison."
                (table breaks down laughing)
                Bob: "And he likes foot stuff."
                Me: "Oh definitely."

Even Mike the DM had to laugh at that one.

Comment

• Mysteries of Albia--

This week was largely a series of combat encounters in a cave I nicknamed the "Mouth of Evil" since it had a pervasive evil aura about it, and the DM specifically described stalactites and stalagmites as resembling teeth in the mouth of the cave as we were entering it. We still put big DPS up in spite of a lack of our Fighter-Barbarian (who I've dubbed both IC and OOC as "Saint Beckett, Slayer of Monsters") (Jesse has been out of the country the last few weeks, and joined when he could via Discord, but wasn't able to connect this week) thanks to a few NPC allies on side.

Among the encounters was a young white dragon and its undead kobold minions ("zombolds" I immediately dubbed them), but Caradoc the Druid cast a Wall of Fire around the dragon, scorching it every round and preventing it from getting involved-- it tried climbing the walls and looking over the wall, but we were all staying out of range of its breath weapon. In the last round, I landed with a critical hit from a flaming bullet, and the wall of fire burned it to death on its turn. I asked, for flavor, if it could be my shot that was the killing blow, and everyone seemed to agree.

Then we came to the source of all the evil permeating the landscape in fantasy!Nunavut-- a coven of hags, which had been kept sealed in the Mouth of Evil courtesy of the macguffin we were looking for. (Turns out the macguffin, a reliquary of a historical figure in-setting, isn't akin to the Hand of Vecna, but is in fact a Good-aligned artifact.) Only, the hags had just broken the seal courtesy of a willing sacrifice-- another Lightning Guild/Dragon Cult member, and the accomplice of the changeling we'd captured the previous session-- and taunted the party. Even offered out forecasts of the future for three of the party, but failed to charm them.

We got swarmed by zombies the hags summoned up, but that was okay, because Caradoc the Druid fell back on old reliable-- using his Summon Creature spell to summon a herd of elks to stampede all over them. He nicknamed the herd "the Elkridge Boys," but this week flavored it (since we were in fantasy!Canada) that they were caribou instead. ("Caribou Crew" I dubbed them) Between our NPC allies holding the line against the zombies, and Caradoc going ham with his Wildshape to turn into a big bristled saber-toothed panther (a moorbounder), we held our own. My gunslinger got the kill on the last hag standing with his flaming bullet again.

And now the Hand of Franklin artifact is speaking in Vash the Rogue's head, telling her to "touch, and remember" -- and that's where we'll pick up next time.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Jay's Home Game--

Given how trying to prep has been tricky for me with our Waterdeep campaign, I told my roommates that we'd be instead switching to one-shot adventures, so we can keep things moving along, and get a mix of RP and combat and so on. I also sweetened the pot by telling them I'd bump them to Level 4, give them a magic item (either a +1 weapon or a +1 shield, or a class-specific item), and some gold for good measure. (Our cleric and paladin both were disappointed they didn't have enough gold to buy plate armor yet.)

I wanted it to be a fun, possibly silly, little game, so I chose one of the adventures I'd done with D&D Adventurers League, "The Peculiar Case of the Selptan Felines." I admit I wasn't expecting the cleric to suddenly be more bloodthirsty than the rogue, though I managed to dissuade them from just smashing any and all cats on sight.

It was a good call to run the adventure. They all had fun, and they agreed that the vaguely-interconnected one-shots idea is probably better. I'll have to provide a little advice to a few of them about spell choices, or how to properly use some of their class features. The druid didn't use her Wildshape ability very much, and the rogue completely forgot about Sneak Attack-- though using that would have required being able to land an actual attack. (The dice were not kind to him.)

Comment

Working...
                  X