Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rasslin' Fans -- what do you think about the Ronda Rousey news?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rasslin' Fans -- what do you think about the Ronda Rousey news?

There are reports that she (legitimately) got suspended after SummerSlam.

I can't tell, based on the story as I understand it, if this is a worked shoot or not.

I haven't seen a WWE PPV in a while, and haven't been keeping up with it much, but the story is that she attacked a referee after her match, because she caused her opponent to tap out, but the ref didn't see it and simultaneously counted the pin fall. So she attacked the referee.

Now, I don't know if this is a "Montreal Screwjob" situation, or some kind of worked shoot, or what.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I fell out of watching WWE a lot in recent months, though the recent forced retirement of Vince McMahon and the ascension of Stephanie and HHH gives me a lot of hope. I did check out Summerslam, and the finish was that Rousey got Liv Morgan (the champion) in an armlock. Liv stacked her up so Rousey's shoulders were down, but Rousey was still wrenching on the arm. The ref was busy checking the shoulders for the pinfall, and did not see Liv tapping out against Rousey's leg. Rousey thought she had won-- she felt the tap out-- and got pissed when the ref said she'd been pinned, as the '3' on the three-count was after Liv had tapped. Rousey attacks the ref, and bam.

It's hard to tell these days what's worked and what's not. It could be legit, could be a work. From what I gather, Rousey's not exactly well-liked backstage among the locker room.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      I fell out of watching WWE a lot in recent months, though the recent forced retirement of Vince McMahon and the ascension of Stephanie and HHH gives me a lot of hope. I did check out Summerslam, and the finish was that Rousey got Liv Morgan (the champion) in an armlock. Liv stacked her up so Rousey's shoulders were down, but Rousey was still wrenching on the arm. The ref was busy checking the shoulders for the pinfall, and did not see Liv tapping out against Rousey's leg. Rousey thought she had won-- she felt the tap out-- and got pissed when the ref said she'd been pinned, as the '3' on the three-count was after Liv had tapped. Rousey attacks the ref, and bam.

It's hard to tell these days what's worked and what's not. It could be legit, could be a work. From what I gather, Rousey's not exactly well-liked backstage among the locker room.
      A lot of that is why I'm thinking it was a "worked shoot". Especially since I read an article where Ronda Rousey had a baby late last year, and has been on the road with WWE since January. The article says it was just a "break" essentially disguised as a suspension. I've heard that thing about her not being liked backstage, I didn't know it was at THAT level, though.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post

A lot of that is why I'm thinking it was a "worked shoot". Especially since I read an article where Ronda Rousey had a baby late last year, and has been on the road with WWE since January. The article says it was just a "break" essentially disguised as a suspension. I've heard that thing about her not being liked backstage, I didn't know it was at THAT level, though.
        I should note, her being not well-liked backstage may just be the reason they're "suspending" her, to quietly get her off TV and reduce her presence at the shows, to keep things from boiling over. I don't think that was the reason they had her lose the match.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

I really don't watch any WWE anymore, but I do keep up with the news and opinions on another forum, and everyone there is 117% certain this is not real. It's believed her contract is for a limited number of shows per year, so this suspension is just a 'storyline' reason to keep her away from TV without people asking "Where's Ronda?"

Y'know, like they do with Lesnar.
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
            I really don't watch any WWE anymore, but I do keep up with the news and opinions on another forum, and everyone there is 117% certain this is not real. It's believed her contract is for a limited number of shows per year, so this suspension is just a 'storyline' reason to keep her away from TV without people asking "Where's Ronda?"

Y'know, like they do with Lesnar.
            This is the real answer. Ronda may ruffle people's feathers the wrong way (ditto with Lesnar, if we're honest), but they move the needle when they show up, and keeping them around every week lessens the draw.

Comment

This is the real answer. Ronda may ruffle people's feathers the wrong way (ditto with Lesnar, if we're honest), but they move the needle when they show up, and keeping them around every week lessens the draw.
              And considering that the *ahem* "new management" is more inclined to play to a wrestler's strengths than the previous, Ronda'll be around just enough to keep interest in upcoming big events.
              "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post

And considering that the *ahem* "new management" is more inclined to play to a wrestler's strengths than the previous, Ronda'll be around just enough to keep interest in upcoming big events.
                I heard, via a website I visit occasionally, that Triple H and Stephanie both hired back some former talent. And apparently Triple H is trying to do things in a VERY different way than Vince did. Some are even saying it could be for the better.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post

I heard, via a website I visit occasionally, that Triple H and Stephanie both hired back some former talent. And apparently Triple H is trying to do things in a VERY different way than Vince did. Some are even saying it could be for the better.
                  100% true.

At Summerslam, Dakota Kai-- who had been released from NXT last year-- returned as part of Bayley's new stable alongside a called-up Io Shirai (now called Iyo Sky).

Last week on Smackdown, after Drew MacIntyre came out to confront Roman Reigns about their upcoming match at the Wales PPV "Clash at the Castle," Scarlett and Karrion Kross (both released last year) returned, as Kross attacked Drew and Scarlett set an hourglass down in front of Roman. (Part of their schtick, warning someone that "their time is almost up/tick tock.")

And this week on Raw, following the AJ Styles/Miz main event, Dexter Lumis (once again, someone released from NXT last year) appeared in the crowd and was dragged off by security.

I would not be at all surprised if more people start returning. Among the ones I'd like to see coming back are Johnny Gargano (whose contract had expired and he just opted not to renew) and Bray Wyatt.

Comment

I would not be at all surprised if more people start returning. Among the ones I'd like to see coming back are Johnny Gargano (whose contract had expired and he just opted not to renew) and Bray Wyatt.
                    Take this as you will:
                    https://wrestling-edge.com/bray-wyat...igns-with-wwe/

Comment

Working...
                    X